Does my vote really matter?

I know its complicated but, does my vote for president make a difference? Aren't presidents elected by the electoral votes and not the popular vote? I guess what I wanna know is: if everyone in America voted for 1 candidate but the electoral votes were for the other how would the election go?I ask because I keep... show more I know its complicated but, does my vote for president make a difference? Aren't presidents elected by the electoral votes and not the popular vote? I guess what I wanna know is: if everyone in America voted for 1 candidate but the electoral votes were for the other how would the election go?I ask because I keep hearing about how important it is to cast my vote but I also hear that the popular vote makes no difference. Thank you for clearing this up for me and my class. We have had many discussions about this but have never completely cleared it up.
Update: Obviously I wasnt clear enough! Intelligent answers only please. Im not asking who I should vote for but if my vote matters. So please if you cant take it seriously dont answer.Please