Why are most people so scared of harmless spiders?

(As opposed to squirrels, cats, bunnies, and raccoons, which could do more harm) Why is one's instinct usually to kill a spider in one's home instead of just letting it be?

Favorite Answer

maybe it is b/c they are so different from us (small, invertebrates, many appendages, lay eggs, BIG FANGS) and people tend to fear the unknown or things that they don't understand.... I dunno, just a thought....

I'm not scared of spiders, in fact, I LOVE spiders (go ahead, call me a creep). I think people are afraid of spiders because they know that they can bite. If a spider is small enough, then you have no idea where it is. One time when I was camping, I woke up one morning and realized I had been bitten in the face. A spider had crawled into my shirt when it was hanging on the clothesline and when I put it on, it was still there but I didn't realize it. I didn't feel it bite me either. I think that when people here about stuff like this, that is when they get really freaked out.

Perhaps because people doen't know the different" harmless or not harmlees." (2) many people are scare of certain things, in my case, I'm scare of snake even if you telll me is harmless. I know they have the right to live like others, but I's scare of them. Another case is because they don't like them. They are certain spiders that are not dangerous, but how do you know the different? The smaller the spider is the most dangerous it coul be. Let say some people are afraid of dog for several reasons, maybe they have been bite by one, but if we understand and learn about dogs, the fear would minimize...Ga

Source(s): If we learn about animal, what to do or not do, we will probably won't so scare, however I try to learn about snake, when they dangerous and see you, they don't know what you going to do, so they start fabricating a poison in case you attack them, you hear a noise, so walk away instead of killing them. The samething happen to a spider if we would study about then maybe we will not be so scare. ga

Phobia based on legends.

One needs to be "at peace with our environment". I used to have such a phobia for many years. I see spider, I stomp spider was my motto. Then one day as I was sitting down outside, I noticed a small spider "making a living". It attacked a rollie pollie and drew it into its lair. It came out and did the same to another insect. It dawn on me that the spider was providing "food" for itself and its flock of little ones. It became apparent to me it was no different than I going to the grocery store and buying things and bringing them home for my family.

What a concept! I finally understood it. Today, I still am a bit uncomfortable around this eight legged creatures but I give them their space and they respect mine. Amazing! I learned something when I was over 50 years old and it took a small creature of God to teach me the concept of LOVE, ACCEPTANCE and RESPECT in such a beautiful way.

Because they're hairy and ugly!! they scare the hell outta me, our old house had a lot of them before. Really!! they're scary and they're long black legs are as long as an adult's fingers, it's true!!! I've accidentally come face close to them once...good thing I didn't panic when my sister froze, then I knew she meant there's a huge spider on the wall behind you. Her look said it all.

I'm really amazed by my mom for killing them all!! she just went straight into that room and killed all those scary spiders..... legend says she used her hands... haha, kidding.. the truth is, we don't know... she wouldn't tell us.

Well i'm a arachnophobia and I'm really scared of spiders. I'm not sureexactly why there so scary scary, i think maybe it's because of their long legs and the way they look. I'm not scared of squirrels, cats, rabbits because they are extremely cute and fluffy. And spiders...arent.

Because spiders look creepy, the way they move is gross. I never kill any bugs though, except mosquitoes because they will eat me alive otherwise. Cats and bunnies are cute to look at so we dont see them as as much of a threat even though they are more potentialy dangerous.

umm because there are spiders out there who are venomous, people tend to be scared and spiders do bite people and I don't really like arachnids in my house that could possible bite me or go on top of my face as i sleep=) ya know what I'm saying lol

And spiders are just gross and scary i mean come on! People just tend not to like insect type animals

Ick. I'm extremely fearful of spiders, or any kind of insect/bug really, even though I know most of them are harmless.They just make me shiver in the sight of them, and they intimidate me. I'm not even capable of killing them because I don't want to hear or feel them being squished. I allow someone else to do that favour for me.

Because, they are creepy and annoying. Did you know that you swallow up to 8 spiders a year? They crawl into your mouth while you are sleeping! (proven fact and its true) They also bite...I HATE SPIDERS! lol sorry no offense!!

Because people say they are ugly.

(judgmental world) lol

But I am scared of them no matter what they do. I personally think they are doing a great job on our planet but I don't want one IN MY HOUSE!!!!