Looking for help to better handle GERD

I suffer from a rather wicked case of GERD, the underlying cause of which is an abnormally slow metabolic rate. I am on Nexium twice a day, and usually down two or three swigs of Pepto-Bismol before bed because I have had extreme cases of heartburn occur while sleeping. I am tired of living in constant fear of another vicious heartburn attack, and I am looking for suggestions from other people on how I might better treat my GERD. I've already taken some of the "usual" steps (i.e. elevating the bed, avoiding food and drink before bed, and things of this nature) but I am curious to know if there is anything else I can do, or any other options I might be able to discuss with my doctor (like surgery or something of that nature). Is there anything else I can try?

Favorite Answer

Have you seriously evaluated your diet? Food allergies/sensitivities have implications for many chronic diseases. You don't have to suffer. PPI's (nexium) and other otc meds only mask symtoms. To me, it seems that you are on a quest to discover the underlying cause of your symptoms. I did this for myself and it worked.

Lets look at diet:

The top food in which people have negative reactions to are in this order: Dairy (milk, cheese), wheat (gluten), eggs, nuts. Make a 7 day food diary cataloging what you eat and how you feel on those days (level of GERD, changes in bowel movements, etc). Try an elimination diet. Start with eliminating the prime suspect from diet for at least 3 weeks (as it can take this long for your gut to heal). If your symptoms improve then you have found the causative agent, if not, move on to the next suspect food. I hope this helps and I'll keep you in my prayers.

Source(s): 2nd year medical student

1

Source(s): Holistic Acid Reflux Secrets - http://heartburnnomore.duebq.com/?yBn