Should the three monotheistic religions merge to form one monotheistic religion?

These three religions basically worship the same God and they all recognise Abraham as the founder of their faith.The differences between them is that they view God in different ways and from different angles.The Christians view God in the form of a trinity whereas the Jews view God as one Godhead while the Muslims view God also as one Godhead.But nevertheless they all believe that there is only one God.The other problem is the Christ issue but with enough education we can get through this fundamental issue.Don't you think this would contribute to world peace?

Favorite Answer

The three "great" monotheistic religions merging? Hah, that'll be the day. Just because the three profess to believe in only one "God," you forget the three have their own exclusive "holy" books that DO NOT assimilate very well with each other. Add to the muddle the fact that Christianity has polytheistic underpinnings with its addition of Jesus and the "Holy Spirit" to the mix.

Personally, I'd rather see all three go the way of all religious myths - into oblivion. Organized religions are poison.

• AH

I don't think that could ever happen. There are too many differences in terms on practices and some of the beliefs etc. I don't really know much about Judaism, but..

In Islam, we strongly don't believe that Jesus is the son of God, but in Christianity this is a key belief that Christians Must believe to enter heaven.

I'm not sure but i think Judaism don't believe in heaven and hell, whereas the other 2 religions do.

The Quran are the words of God. The bible is writen by various people.

Also, there are soo many practices in Islam that Christians and Jewish don't do. for example the 5 prayers a day.

I don't think any of the religions would be willing to change or remove any of their practices and beliefs.. that's exactly why there are 3 seperate religions in the first place. But.. It's be great if it could work i guess lol

you don't seem to realize how fundamentally different Judaism and Christianity are.

its more than just the belief in God and Jesus and such...

from the jewish view, to put it rather coarsely, the trinity is polytheism. period. just as much as hinduism is.

Trinitarians by the nature of beliving in the trinity, don't believe in "one god" in the same way that Jews and Muslims do.

and no, really the beliefs about Jesus and such cannot simply be reconciled through education. while the groups can associate and be civil and all that... they are distinctly seperate, and that cannot ever change.

• Andy W

It appears that you consider only Muslims and Jews to be monotheistic.

What is the reason you think Muslims kill infidels? To proclaim that there is one God? Why don't the Jews employ the same method if they are serving the same God?

You see, your logic does not stand. One cannot sacrifice one's beliefs in order to achieve world peace. One God cannot teach peace on the one hand and violence on the other. It just means it's not the same god. You can take your pick.

• ?

I think most of the members of those three religions would object to that. A lot. And they're entitled to view God "in different ways and from different angles".

I don't think it'd contribute to world peace at all, really. We'd just have the same religion disagreeing with itself then, instead of three disagreeing with each other.

They shouldn't merge, They should however state as their first rule:

Our religion is very good. Yet is very well possible that in individual cases another religion or atheism is better for you. So learn and choose wisely.

This would at least change the atmosphere between people of the different religions and atheists. It shows a pragmatic approach. To merge all religions into one would be reducing a rich diversity.

No, not a good idea. And no, they do not believe in the same God. Jesus Christ is God. Jews and Muslims deny this, thus they do not believe in the same God. God does not ask for religion but a relationship with Him through Jesus Christ. John 3:16-18 2 Corinthians 6:14-15 Do not be unequally yoked with unbelievers. For what partnership has righteousness with lawlessness? Or what fellowship has light with darkness? (15) What accord has Christ with Belial? Or what portion does a believer share with an unbeliever?

No. They are all extremely similar in some ways, extremely different in others, and extremely contradictory to one another. They are united in some ways, but in other ways, well, they're just savagely competitive, and it's just not going to happen. HOWEVER. This does not mean that it is okay for people to sit and insult other people's religions. We should all be able to act civilized to one another, and have friends from different cultures. That's an education.

Source(s): Catholic - Jewish Pagan Alliance Ally

Despite our differences and the present tension between our communities,Islam and Judaism are very similar.However I as a Muslim view present Christianity as a form polytheism.Also many of the Christian tenants are irreconcilable with Islam.I respect both faiths but to them their faith and to me mine.

I'm an Orthodox Christian and I do not believe in the same God as a Muslim. Sorry.

They believe in Allah, which is a word for God in the Arabic language but not our God.