registering a non profit organization name

I have to register a non profit organization name.....How can I??? .....I live in MD

3 Answers

  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

    Formal Structure of a Tax Exempt Entity

    Before the Internal Revenue Service can issue your organization tax-exempt status, your organization must be formed as either an association, corporation, or trust. A copy of the organizing document (i.e., articles of incorporation approved and dated by appropriate state official, constitution or articles of association, or signed and dated trust instrument) must be filed with the IRS's Application for Recognition of Exemption.

    In Maryland, corporate charter information is filed with the State Department of Assessments and Taxation. To assist non-profit organizations, the agency has prepared a guideline for articles of incorporation for non-profit organizations which can be obtained by contacting the agency. The agency's address is 301 West Preston Street, Baltimore MD 21201, and its telephone number is 410-767-1340. Forms and information can be obtained from the agency's web site.

    Registration with the Office of the Secretary of State as a Charitable Organization

    Organizations soliciting charitable contributions in Maryland are generally required to register with the Office of the Secretary of State as a charitable organization. Registration is required before soliciting in Maryland begins and continues on an annual basis.

    If your newly formed organization will be soliciting Maryland residents for charitable contributions (either monetary or in-kind donations), your organization will probably be required to register with the Charitable Organizations Division. In most cases, the Exempt Organization Fund-Raising Notice will be the appropriate registration form for new organizations. This notice is required for organizations raising less than $25,000 in charitable contributions a year. You should also note that if your organization intends on raising funds in other states, you may also be required to register in the other states

  • Anonymous
    5 years ago

    It is depends in which state you are in. There is a government site that you can go and register a non profit organization.

  • 6 years ago


Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.