under paid for auto

i bought a car from a large dealer 2 months ago paid with check in full i have the clear title and is registered in my name the manger just called saying i underpaid and still owe. i checked my records and found i wrote in the numerical block 5675 but in line wrote five thousand seventy five my bank paid the line amount the dealer just noticed this error so its 600 in my favor still debating what to do but wondering about his legal options if any since i have title thanks

i bought a car from a large dealer 2 months ago paid with check in full i have the clear title and is registered in my name the manger just called saying i underpaid and still owe. i checked my records and found i wrote in the numerical block 5675 but in line wrote five thousand seventy five my bank paid the line amount the dealer just noticed this error so its 600 in my favor still debating what to do but wondering about his legal options if any since i have title thanks (edit) this is not a moral question we all know what the right thing to do is. i fully understand karma. however if i walk into there to try to set up payments and he ses no i will sue you does he have grounds WHAT ARE HIS LEGAL OPTIONS

steve o thanks for understanding the question gave a call was able to set up 300 on sun 300 on the 15th it was a bit of a debate but were all set thanks

Favorite Answer

This has nothing to do with legalities..... You agreed to a price and should pay it. A mistake was made and now your looking for a way to rip him off?? Whats up with that.... Dont come here looking for justification for stealing.... Do you have any integrity?

Everyone messed up a little - you when you wrote the check, the dealer when he accepted it, and the bank when they processed it.

Their legal recourse will cost more than $600, so I'm sure they'll agree to a payment plan. Know ahead of time what you can afford per month, and be courteous. If they argue, don't be snotty, just point out that they'll get all their money, with no effort on their part.

Don't agree to a series of post-dated checks, and make sure you get a receipt with the remaining balance each time you pay.

Remember - be polite and assertive. "I'm sorry for my mistake. I can't afford to give you the entire $600 right now, but I can give you $XX today and $XX every month until it's paid off." Have a check or cash in hand, and I bet they'll accept your offer.

Dude, if you want to be nasty about it you probably could get by without paying. I mean if you have the title and its registered to you then its a done deal.

But i wouldnt do it. Karma you know.

• Otto

You don't have any options. Pay the remainder as you agreed to when you bought it.