Should I remove my tongue piercing?

I've had a tongue piercing since January this year and I love it to bits, but lately it's been hurting really badly. It's sore and uncomfortable. I really, really don't want to remove it, but I'm contemplating whether or not I should do..

Favorite Answer

I think you should remove it. It will probably lead to an infection if you leave it and then you'll be in even GREATER pain. Are you sure that your not maybe just allergic to the type of material your piercing is made out of? I don't have a tongue piercing but I bought these sick fake diamond earrings and when I put them in after like a day my whole right ear hurt and was red and puffy. You're tongue might just be rejecting the material.

• ?!

A little more info might be nice, namely about the jewellery: does it fit perfectly and do you know exactly what each part is made of? And is it high quality?

If the jewellery's too long or too short it can irritate it like you've mentioned and if it's not all the same metal and grade (ie. you've mixed & matched the ends or the bar) then galvanic corrosion can occur which has the symptoms you've described (more info: http://wiki.bmezine.com/index.php/Galvanic_Corrosi... )

Its Gonna hurt for a while, and it also depends what kind of food you eat, i dont think u should remove it the pain will eventually go away

yes. it is safe to take it out, but u will ahve MORE of a risk for infection. When you take it out, continue Cleaning it just as if the piercing was still there for another week or until it is completly healed.

• L ♥

If you don't want to remove it, I don't think you should because you'll regret it and then you'll just want to go back and get it repierced. Go back to your piercer and get their advice, they always know best. And like someone above me said, you don't want to close it if it is infected as you'll trap the infection. Good luck.

I would ask a Doctor. If you do have an infection, you do not want to seal it in your body by letting the piercing close. The Doctor would examine it and can give you antibiotics to counteract any infection.

I felt the same way. But after having it for 2 years, i was chipping my teeth and it started turning into a pain. I removed mine, and I have no regrets!!!

Good Luck...

Yes tongue piercings are bad. You may like it now but in the long run after all the problems you'll end up having you'll realize it wasn't worth it.

YES! you should remove it! the last thing you want to is to get it infected!!! I no you like it and it looks cool, but it is better not to be in pain!

Don't remove it, go see a piercer.