sunnygirl asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

Can splenda hurt a dog?

I had a friend whose dog ate splenda and got sick, but my dog licks my cereal bowl when I'm done and it always has a little splenda left. Maybe that's a bad habit, but why does it affect her dog, and not mine?

Update:

My dog is a lot bigger than my friends, so these answers make sense.

Update 2:

Bobby, sthat's crap about splenda causing people to become sick, i've never gotten sick from it, and neither has anyone else i know. My doctor even said it's fine for humans and she has a child's weightloss poster in her office sponsored by splenda. I trust my doctor.

If you were getting sick that must be because of something else.

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

    allergies and the immune system and size of dog are major factors my dog ate a pound of fudge and didn't get sick but a little then there are other dogs that eat half that much and die. your dog should be fine we all have our bad habits.

  • Not sure if splenda has this particular ingredient or not but would imagine it may, this post is from my group and may help:

    DOG Owners Be Aware! -Xylitol

    If you don't have a dog - forward to all you know who do have a dog

    as well as to those who love pets !!

    This is true: http://www.snopes./ com/critters/ crusader/ xylitol.asp

    Warning to all dog owners - pass this on to everyone you can. Last

    Friday evening, I arrived home from work, fed Chloe, our 24-lb.

    dachshund, just as I normally do. Ten minutes later, I walked into

    the den just in time to see her head inside the pocket of Katie's

    friend's purse. She had a guilty look on her face, so I looked

    closer and saw a small package=2 0of sugar-free gum. It contained

    xylitol.

    I remembered that I had recently read that sugar-free gum can be

    deadly for dogs, so I jumped on line and looked to see if xylitol

    was the ingredient. I found the first website below and it was the

    one. Next, I called our vet. She said to bring her in immediately.

    Unfortunately, it was still rush hour and it took me almost 1/2 hour

    to get there. Meanwhile, since this was her first case, our vet

    found another website to figure out the treatment. She took Chloe

    and said they would induce her to vomit, give her a charcoal drink

    to absorb the toxin (even though they don't think it works), then

    they would start an iv with dextrose.

    The xylitol causes dogs to secrete insulin, so their blood sugar

    drops very quickly. The second thing that happens is liver failure.

    If that happens, even with aggressive treatment, it can be difficult

    to save them. She told us she would call us. Almost two hours later,

    the vet called and said that contents of her stomach contained 2-3

    gum wrappers and that her blood sugar had dropped from 90 to 59 in

    30 minutes. She wanted us to take Chloe to another hospital that has

    a critical care unit operating around the clock. We picked her up

    and took her there.

  • 1 decade ago

    Don't use Splenda at all! Humans included!

    I like to say sucralose, not Splenda, because that is what Splenda is. And it is in a lot of stuff. The package doesn't have to say Splenda to have sucralose in it. You have to read labels. So, you might still be using it and don't even know it!

    A lot of people, including myself, have gotten/are getting sick from it.

    Sucralose is poison. It ruined five years of my life. I had a laundry list of medical problems while taking it. I went to several doctors. I had a dozen different tests. I was told that I had a number of different problems. I was on different medication for many years.

    The slogan, "Made from sugar..." is very misleading. Splenda might be made from sugar, but it is far from sugar. The resulting chemical is an organochloride (chlorocarbon). Organochlorides are typically poisons.

    carbon monoxide - made from oxygen so its like a breath of fresh air.

    Source(s)

    Source(s): My source is me. I have personally experienced the effects of sucralose and can report first hand of its dangers. Check out what others are saying http://www.foodanddiet.com/NewFiles/splenda-story-... http://www.belicove.com/archives/beliblog/000651.h... http://splendasickness.blogspot.com/ Check out organochlorides http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Organochlori... http://www.nationmaster.com/encyclopedia/Organochl...
  • 1 decade ago

    I was told that any sugar free substance (splend and all those) can make your dogs sugar plummst. My vet told me this and it can kill them. I am assuming it would have to be a large quanity for the size of the dog, but I have been told that.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.