How to get a weighted 4.8 G.P.A.?

To get that weighted GPA in high school, it says that you need all honors classes and only 2 AP? So what if someone takes 3 AP classes? Their GPA can't go any higher, right?

-Does anyone know the exact classes you are to take?

(Weighted Honors Course)

For students who enroll in the 9th grade during or after the 2003-2004 school year, a weighted grade point factor for successful completion of Honors and Advanced Placement (AP) courses will be added as follows:

Honors .025

Advanced Placement (AP) .050

The weighted GPA cap for the Honors Program for students who enroll in 9th grade during or after 2003-04 school year will be added as follows:

• Weighted GPA cap is limited to no more than twenty-eight semesters of Honors/AP courses.

• A weighted GPA factor of .050 may be earned for up to four semesters of AP and a .025 weighted GPA factor for twenty-four semesters of Honors courses.

-The highest possible GPA: 4.8

Any information please.

Favorite Answer

What you are talking about is a weighted GPA, and since the best you can get on a GPA for normal stuff is 4.0, you shouldn't worry about 4.2--it's already over the normal top. Colleges and universities, if they see a GPA over 4.0, know immediately that you are coming from a school with a weighted GPA system, and since they only consider standard 4.0 GPA systems in their calculations, it won't matter to them if you have a 4.0 or a 4.2 or a 4.8. Any way you look at it, you still have better than an A+ average grade. Since they understand that not all schools use a weighted GPA system, they have to calculate on the regular GPA system, where 4.0 is perfect.

If you really want to get into an elite school, I can tell you a couple of things which may be of help to you. First of all, while your GPA is important, it is not as important as the scores on your standardized tests. GPA does count, but SAT and ACT scores are as or more important than GPA. GPA counts more if you are looking for scholarships, but those standardized tests are really the important thing. Most universities, especially since the SAT started including the essay, weigh the standardized tests much more heavily than they do your GPA. Part of that is because school districts all vary, and there are classes required in some places which students just cannot get an A in. For example, I have a friend who went to a high school where only 2 years of PE were required. One was a general year of PE where they played games like volleyball and badminton and stuff, and it was co-ed. The other year was two semesters, and they were not co-ed. The only options for boys were weight lifting (required for anyone on an athletic team, and taken the whole year), baseball, and track and field. The only options for girls were weightlifting (required for athletics and for cheer squad, and lasting all year) modern dance, and gymnastics. The simple fact is that there are people who are just not ever going to get an A in track and field, or an A in gymnastics, regardless of how much effort they put into it. Admissions officers know that, and they know that there are other courses which some schools require where people are just not going to get an A, so that GPA doesn't get weighed as heavily as it otherwise might. They also realize that GPA is calculated against the other students at your school, but only the other students at your school. That's a pretty small sampling. SAT and ACT are calculated against a much larger pool of test takers--the pool is hundreds of times larger than the pool of people for the high school GPA, so those tests are felt to give a better representation of your true knowledge and potential.

So on the GPA, do your best, but remember that it isn't the Holy Grail--your standardized tests, along with your entrance application essay will count for a good deal more.

The other thing that a lot of people don't know is that there has really been a huge swing in what admissions officers look for. They don't want kids with perfect grades--they want kids who are well-rounded. How do they judge if you are well-rounded? By your extra-curricular activities. It doesn't necessarily need to be stuff at school, either, like drama or debate club. Things like working on a political campaign, volunteering at a retirement center, or participating in a community theater program are all good. What they are looking for is people who have other interests outside of school, so you should pick something which is interesting to you, and which you can commit to. It doesn't mean that you have to put in 20 hours a week at your local food bank, but it helps if you are active in some part of your community. Universities look at it this way: they don't just want to turn out a bunch of grads who graduated summa *** laude--they want to turn out grads who will be the leaders of tomorrow. And they figure that the leaders of tomorrow are the people who get involved when they are young. When I went to college (I started right out of high school, in the fall of 1986), I only applied to our main in-state university. My grades had slipped a bit my senior year, but I was still able to graduate with the Honor Society because I was the President that year, and there was nothing on the books about how to remove a sitting president when their grades slipped below the cut-off. The main thing is I was courted heavily by some really good schools, like Stanford and UC Berkeley--almost all of that came from the fact that I had excellent standardized test scores, and I had AP credits, and I had college credits besides that AP stuff because I took college courses to fulfill my high school language requirements because I was already too advanced for what was offered at my high school. They couldn't have cared less if I was into some sort of service program or outside school activity, though the admissions officer did say that they looked favorably on me being an officer in the drama club. Naturally, as I only applied to a state university, I got in with no problem, but I could also have gotten in to Stanford and UC Berkeley and a bunch of other really elite schools--they wrote me letters asking permission to check my grades my senior year, which I granted, and they told me they didn't care about my grades. In fact, Stanford was most interested in the fact that I was already nearly fluent in a foreign language. But I digress. My main point is that back then, outside activities didn't mean much.

Flash forward to 1997, when my friend's younger sister graduated from high school. She had a 4.0 GPA, her SATs were in the low 1500s (that's when the perfect score was still 1600), and she also had a 31 on her ACT. That's all very, very excellent work. Their grandparents had funded college funds for them long before their birth, and her parents were willing to pay tuition, since she was the baby of the family, and all the other kids were married, so she had access to $40K (per year, $160K total) to go to college, and you know what? She couldn't get into any elite university. She applied everywhere, and I do mean everywhere, and she couldn't get in. She was so frustrated when the rejection letters started rolling in that she finally called several universities, and asked to speak to someone about why she couldn't get in when she had nearly perfect everything. She got the same answer over and over again: yes, her academics looked good, but they were looking for students with other, outside interests. They wanted people who would enhance the campus by bringing their personal interests and style to the university. They already had their pick of people with good grades and good test scores, they wanted people who were INTERESTING. And the simple fact was that she wasn't interesting, at least not by university admissions standards. She hadn't participated in any extracurricular activities. She didn't have a job. She didn't have a hobby, other than reading books. She had never volunteered anywhere. She was just good grades and good test scores, and that's not what they wanted. So take that as you will, but it's going to help you a lot if you can say that you worked on someone's political campaign, or that you worked with the disabled, or that you did something else, besides homework.

So I guess that's my answer, long though it be. The best way to get the most out of your GPA is to remember that it isn't the most important thing. Get good scores on your standardized tests. Put a lot of thought and effort into your admissions essays. Get involved in something that interests you. Present a whole, interesting package, and you'll do a lot better and have a better chance of landing a slot at Yale or wherever it is that you'd like to go.

I wish you the very best.

**EDIT**

On proofing, I find that Yahoo has censored a Latin word because it's also a sexual slang word. I apologize for that, but you will know what I am talking about by the context.

• harton

surely! With that GPA you'll get into virtually any institution. If they require any greater then how well that institution is quite is not established on GPA anymore. There's different elements