Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingToddler & Preschooler · 1 decade ago

What should I teach my TODDLER first: LETTERS or NUMBERS?

Favorite Answer

No reason you can't do both. They're sponges at that age :o)

Source(s): Mom of 3

As early as possible, some kids learn it very quickly, others take a lot longer, but it's not good if a 3 year old has no idea what numbers and letters even are. My mom babysat a little boy who at nearly 5 years old didn't know letters, numbers, colors, shapes. etc. because his parents never sat down with him and tried to teach him. I was 13 at the time and decided to teach him all that during the summer so that he would know them once he started kindergarten. My son is 5 years old and only knows 5 colors, 3 shapes, how to count from 1 to 5, and that's about it, but he is way behind in his development as he was very premature, i have been trying to teach him this stuff since he was about 3 years old, but he didn't start getting it until he was 4.5 years old and he learned the colors, shapes, and counting just in the past 6 months.

I did both at the same time. I had gotten flash cards so that way he could see it and recognize it. I also teach pre-school and that is also why I did both. Even put everything you do into teaching without your child realizing it. When you walk or pick things up (such as toys) count. With the letters, if your child has a favorite book, say the letters. Also, I have the alphabet magnets on the fridge, whenever I'm in the kitchen, use those and help them make little words making the sound of the letters as u do so. Being so young they will pick it up in no time.

• boo

numbers are usually easier than letters to learn first, because they're more concrete, which makes more sense to toddlers. As in, it's easier to say there are 2 apples (because your little one can point to 1 and 2 apples) than to say apple starts with A.

but there is absolutely no reason to wait for them to go to school to learn letters, my 2 year old has known all his letters and numbers for months. You don't have to wait for school to teach your kids things, toddlers are like little sponges, take advantage of that.

Source(s): mommy of 2year old and 5month old

You can do both. You'll be amazed at how fast your child learns. :) I recommend starting with numbers, but discussing letters any time they come up or you can point them out. I also think Sesame Street is invaluable for toddlers! You can get the old episodes and specials pretty cheap if you have some aversion to the newer episodes. :)

Also work numbers and letters into your conversations with your child. Reading before bed time is a great way to get your child interested in learning to read. Good luck! :)

You don't have to have a special curriculum, just teach as you play. For numbers, count everything... "How many trees are there? 1,2,3,4,5" "How many crackers do you have?" Point to each one as you count them. "Can you make three paydough balls?" Play with your child and let numbers be part of it. My son and I also play a game where we count back and forth, eg. I say "one" and he answers "two" then I say "three" etc. We went to twenty two without a mistake last night during dinner! (He's 28 mo.) We started about 20 months, just by having me count small numbers while pointing the objects out in a book (eg. 1,2, what's next? 3!) I praised a lot for right answers and then gave the right answer and recounted if he didn't answer/was wrong.

For letters, we have sung the ABC song every time we brush his teeth for as long as we have brushed. I also have Fridge Phonics and play with those with him. We started with the first letter of his name "D" and would tell him that D stands for Danny, put it in the musical player and sing the song together. Then we started on other family members: M for Mommy, N for Nana, etc. Pretty soon we'd play a game with the ones he knows having him find the letters and bring them to us. When friends and relatives come over, we have him do it for them, "Can you bring Pops the P for Pops?" Of course he got tons of praise and delight from friends and relatives, plus he had a name/animal for each letter, so it was the beginning of knowing the sounds of the letters as well. We love the LeapFrog "Letter Factory" video. Once he knew all the capital letters and their sounds, we bought the fridge phonics extension pack (magnetic lowercase letters). Hope that helps.

Source(s): Teacher and mom of 2.
  • Pippin

You can do both. Read him books that have letters and numbers. Play counting games with him. Sing the ABC song with him. If he's a toddler (under age 3) he wont' really make much sense of them yet, but familiarizing him with them through games and books is great.

I'm teaching both but she is picking up on numbers quicker. I went and bought those magnetic letters and numbers and put them on the fridge so that when we go and get her milk we can do some letters and numbers

The quandary that lots of parents end up in is they don't really have enough time to look for the proper eBook s and understanding design with which to teach their kiddies but with this program https://tr.im/Ij4Zr , Children Learning Reading this problem is come to a end.

Children Learning Reading is very extensive, and your child could have no issues assimilating the lessons as the lessons are well-designed. Since the machine is founded on phonetics, the learning process is gradual.

In Children Learning Reading program the classes are unique and can't be found in other understanding methods.

• M & M

I taught my toddler both at the same time throug song. They are smarter than we think. By the time mine went to kindergarten he knew letters , numbers, opposites, road signs, traffic light signs, and shapes and colors. The teachers didn't know what to make of it. Today he is 13 and all straight A's junior beta and everything. He is also 7 years in football, basketball, and baseball. He is very smart!! Children learn what they are taught, so teach early. It pays

I have a 2 year old and we taught him letters/words. We're teaching him numbers now but i dont think it would be a problem switching it around...toddlers are fun!