Would you buy a 96' Dodge Caravan or a 93' Ford explorer?

I have to choose between these two cars. They are the same price. And i dont know which one to buy. Im having a baby next month and need a reliable car. Advice? opinions?

Update:

we live in chicago so yeah we'll need the 4x4 during the winter.

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

To be perfectly honest, neither are going to be problem free. But, for either of them, parts will be cheap considering they are both popular domestic cars.

But, I would have to go with the Explore. I choose this simply because Dodge is a horrible brand. Quality is mediocre at best, owner satisfaction is miserable, and build quality is at he bottom of the pack.

Ford Owners remain very loyal to the company. Also, having AWD will be quite necessary to have during the winter season. I do not believe the Dodge offers it unless you get the top of the line Grand Caravan.

Good Luck

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

The Caravan receives extra suitable gas economic equipment. it is going to also fee you a lot less in coverage and it really is safer. Being in the city, you should have your roads sparkling adequate, right now adequate so that you'll by no potential want 4 wheel drive on the city. A minivan will manage extra like a vehicle and so it really is extra adventure to city existence. besides, the more recent Chrysler and stay sparkling of minivans have all sorts of bells and whistles for households. see you later as you do not bypass off-roading or haul great plenty usually, a minivan is very nearly continuously a extra suitable decision than an SUV.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I'd go with the 1996 Dodge Caravan unless the 1993 Ford Explorer has 4-wheel drive and you live in an area where you would need that.

• 1 decade ago

The caravan is going to get better mileage. The explorer is a good vehicle, but with the added moving parts of 4x4 (that we still don't know if you need or not) it is just more to cause you problems and get worse mileage. As stated, unless you live where you need a 4x4.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Otto
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

Why is the choice between just these two. Neither is going to be a trouble free reliable vehicle. Try looking at the Nissan Quest/Mercury Villager van.

• 1 decade ago

Take the time to look each vehicle over. Make your decision on which vehicle has been taken care of best,which one has less miles and see if either has any service records. have your mechanic look it over and see if he/she can find anything wrong with it. Beware with the dodge because they have a bad problem with transmissions but older fords don't seem to hold up as well as one might think either. Just take your time and make and informed decision so you won't have any regrets.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.