What do I need for a mortgage in the U.S?

I'm a British guy who's married to an American woman and i'm moving over to the U.S (Colorado) to live indefinitely at the end of next month. My wife has a job to go to over there but I won't be able to get one until at least 3 to 6 months due to Green Card restrictions. I've been reading up on what you need to get a mortgage over there and from what I've read it says that you need 2 years of constant income as an indication of the amount of mortgage to lend. But my income in the UK has been sporadic over the last 2 years due to travel, finishing my degree and now (as i'm temping as a truck driver) the price of petrol/gas which has cut work short. If we waited until I got a job to get a mortgage (rather than trying to get one on my wife's income alone) what kind of situation would that leave us in as concerns what would be available to us?

2 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

It just means you rent until you have saved enough money and established a sufficient, dependable income required to get a mortgage and a down-payment. Typically, you need about 20% of the purchase price in cash, and a mortgage for the rest.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

You may need a co-signer, from her parents or yours. <}:-})

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.