What do I need for a mortgage in the U.S?

I'm a British guy who's married to an American woman and i'm moving over to the U.S (Colorado) to live indefinitely at the end of next month. My wife has a job to go to over there but I won't be able to get one until at least 3 to 6 months due to Green Card restrictions. I've been reading up on what you need to get a mortgage over there and from what I've read it says that you need 2 years of constant income as an indication of the amount of mortgage to lend. But my income in the UK has been sporadic over the last 2 years due to travel, finishing my degree and now (as i'm temping as a truck driver) the price of petrol/gas which has cut work short. If we waited until I got a job to get a mortgage (rather than trying to get one on my wife's income alone) what kind of situation would that leave us in as concerns what would be available to us?

Favorite Answer

It just means you rent until you have saved enough money and established a sufficient, dependable income required to get a mortgage and a down-payment. Typically, you need about 20% of the purchase price in cash, and a mortgage for the rest.

You may need a co-signer, from her parents or yours. <}:-})