Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

What year did Mormonism cease being a cult?

19 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

1983 when the church was organized. It was NEVER a cult.

• 1 decade ago

The line between cult and religion is very fine. Generally, "cult" is used by people who disagree with the religious group's beliefs, or for a small religious group that seems eccentric to the mainstream. Membership has some bearing on the use of the word, although many still consider Mormonism and Scientology cults and they have quite a following. "Cult" is a word that is difficult to define; I avoid it altogether.

• harms
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

ROTFLMAO.... persist with the coaching of the pope.... do you know no longer something relating to the Rcc?!?!? curiously because it is senseless by any potential!!! there are distinctive stages of a "cult" heck an area watch may well be seen a cult. some are stable and a few are undesirable. look up the be conscious in a dictionary - no longer spell examine - easily learn the meaning OF the be conscious. catholics can question the pope.... there have in ordinary terms been 2 circumstances in like one hundred fifty YEARS that there replaced into doctrine ordinary that replaced into seen infalliable. you ought to nevertheless question it although.... you're no longer comparing apples to apples on your "rules" so once you incredibly have a leg to stand on.... come on lower back. EDIT -- once you have a job or belong to ANY organization, there's a pacesetter a man or woman who lives and breathes between you who LEADS.... it is called ANY organization otherwise they might not be prepared. the place of work of the papacy has been around approximately 2000 years in basic terms like the RCC so..... benedict has no longer been around the whole time - he isn't immortal. maximum folk do no longer even know of your thomas man or woman via fact it is TOO secretive. the whole worldwide knows of Pope Benny because it is simple understanding it is the countless annoying circumstances. at the same time as no longer each thing is publically traded (in an effort to speak) baptizing human beings interior the call of a few lifeless man or woman you like to usher on your planet..... it is issues like that that confuse the conventional human.

• When were the Mormons ever considered to be a cult? I've always thought of them as a legitimate sect of Christianity.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

It would behoove you to learn the tenses of the English language such as past, present, and future.

Once you learn this, your question would probably be reworded as "What year WILL Mormonism cease being a cult?

I can't tell the future exactly, but it will happen the same time that the second half of this verse takes place:

2 Thess. 2:8

8 And then shall that Wicked be revealed, whom the Lord shall consume with the spirit of his mouth, and shall destroy with the brightness of his coming:

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

AS FAR AS IT STAYS TO THE SAME PATH IT STARTED FOLLOWING JOE SMITH it is and will allwaye be one the only people that are dumb enoughe to call them a relidgen is the {our} GOV,cathlosisim is right on the boarder lines of being a cult if you understand rev:713 14and since they pray to a false idiol well we knnow what that ischap,7 is deep as is most of rev,But if you know your history and have set down and studyed the bible and fellowship in and out of church you would have know need to ask this question!

GOD-BLESS

• 1 decade ago

It was never a cult. The Church the Christ organised was restored. www.mormon.org

• 1 decade ago

Authority to preach

Source(s): Where did your pastors, preachers, ect. get authority to preach? John 15: 16 16 Ye have not chosen me, but I have chosen you, and ordained you, that ye should go and bring forth fruit, and that your fruit should remain: that whatsoever ye shall ask of the Father in my name, he may give it you. Heb. 5: 4, 10 4 And no man taketh this honour unto himself, but he that is called of God, as was Aaron. • • • 10 Called of God an high priest after the order of Melchisedec. Ex. 40: 13 13 And thou shalt put upon Aaron the holy garments, and anoint him, and sanctify him; that he may minister unto me in the priest’s office. # Num. 27: 23 23 And he laid his hands upon him, and gave him a charge, as the Lord commanded by the hand of Moses. 1 Sam. 3: 20 20 And all Israel from Dan even to Beer-sheba knew that Samuel was established to be a prophet of the Lord. Rom. 1: 1 1 Paul, a servant of Jesus Christ, called to be an apostle, separated unto the gospel of God, 1 Cor. 1: 26 26 For ye see your calling, brethren, how that not many wise men after the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble, are called: 2 Cor. 10: 8 8 For though I should boast somewhat more of our authority, which the Lord hath given us for edification, and not for your destruction, I should not be ashamed: 1 Tim. 2: 7 7 Whereunto I am ordained a preacher, and an apostle, (I speak the truth in Christ, and lie not;) a teacher of the Gentiles in faith and verity. Numbers 27 15 ¶ And Moses spake unto the Lord, saying, 16 Let the Lord, the God of the spirits of all flesh, set a man over the congregation, 17 Which may go out before them, and which may go in before them, and which may lead them out, and which may bring them in; that the congregation of the Lord be not as sheep which have no shepherd. 18 ¶ And the Lord said unto Moses, Take thee Joshua the son of Nun, a man in whom is the spirit, and lay thine hand upon him; 19 And set him before Eleazar the priest, and before all the congregation; and give him a charge in their sight. 20 And thou shalt put some of thine honour upon him, that all the congregation of the children of Israel may be obedient.
  • 1 decade ago

It never was a cult and never will be.

• Kerry
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

What year did it start...? It is the true Church of Jesus Christ, restored to the earth as prophesied in the Bible.....Every doctrine of the LDS Church is found in the Bible.

Source(s): Lifelong Mormon
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.