Can a girl become the US Army General?

Alright my sister is 17 and she wants to become the Us Army General. She's heard that she cant but i want to find out for her so can you please help. Shes also going to be going to west point. wants to get a rhodes scholorship to University of Oxford and then go to Command and General Staff Collage. graduatting with a masters degree in Military Science

Update:

also howmany generals does the us have

Update 2:

she wants to atlest be a 4 star general

Update 3:

shes already been accepted into west point

11 Answers

Relevance
  • Mrsjvb
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

anything is possible.. but she does realize that all her goals are VERY lofty ones and she needs to understand that possible doesn't always mean probable or even practical.

what she is wanting to do is very competitive.. getting INTO West Point isn't easy by any stretch of the imagination, and her desires only get more competitive with each passing step.

and the number of 4 start generals period is VERY low.

• 1 decade ago

On July 25th the Senate confirmed the promotion of Lieutenant General Ann E. Dunwoody to the rank of General. She is the first female to achieve four-star rank in the Army. However, because of the legal barrier on women serving in combat arms positions, it is doubtful that any woman would be appointed as Army Chief of Staff by a President. That isn't a sure "no way" because the new Air Force Chief of Staff is not from the fighter pilot community.

BTW, tell your sister that attendance and completion of the course at the Command and General Staff College (a ten month course) does not result in a Masters' degree.

• Anonymous
    5 years ago

Women are not allowed to fulfill any Combatant-type jobs in the Military. Simply being, they literally do not meet capabilities and standards. Whether you believe it or not, Menstrual Cycles are a big concern when it comes to a girl being in combat. When stuff like that is just unpredictable, and can cause such disability, it would be impossible to cope with that. You may be one girl that can say oh my periods are nothing, I can fight through them. Well what about the 99% of girls that can't. They can't test for that kinda mental strength in women. There is also a physical concern. If you put a man and a woman on the same workout routine, science shows that the women will develop much slower than the man. Sure, theres plenty of women who are stronger than the average soldier, but they do have to go through a lot more training physically to get that way.

• SB
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

The first woman to become a general officer in the U.S. armed services was Brig. Gen. Anna Mae Hays, chief of the Army Nurse Corps

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Yes, just because she is a female it doesn't mean she can't be a General. It's good that she is aiming high but tell her to take it one step at a time but to never forget where she wants to be.

Source(s): British Army Recruit.
  • Greco
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

She's on the right track if she's been accepted at West Point. Tell her congratulations from me.

• 1 decade ago

We don't have girls (or boys) in our military. We have women and men.

I admire your sister for her goal. She has only one other mentor. It's going to be tough!

• 1 decade ago

theres actually been many female Army generals.tell your sister to aim high.

• oy vey
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

Yep...I know several.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.