What is a UV sterilizers?

I am getting a saltwater tank and i was told i need a UV sterilizer

5 Answers

Relevance
  • BobW
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Strong UV light will kill algae, parasites, bacteria etc. So UV sterilizers work by passing your tank water around a UV bulb and if the exposure is long enough the water is indeed pretty sterile when it done. Algae is killed easier than parasites so if you decide to get one make sure you get one that is big enough to kill parasites. You don't want the water flow to be too fast through the sterilizer either since prolonged exposure increases effectiveness.

UV sterilizers will kill beneficial bacteria, copepods, amphipods and other good stuff as effectively as the bad. They are not a required item but they can be very beneficial. Many people will say that you don't need one unless you make a mistake. That is true. If you use proper quarantine tank (QT) procedures you should not get any parasites in your tank for example. From my experience unfortunately few people practice good QT routinely. And unfortunately when my aquarium was new I made mistakes and I ended up getting a UV sterilizer. My second aquarium has never had a UV sterilizer attached and hasn't needed one.

• 1 decade ago

I'm not sure for saltwater tanks, but UV Sterilizers are usually optional in freshwater. Anyway, a UV Sterilizer is a device that passes your tank water around a long ultraviolet light, which kills the microorganisms in the water. Then the water comes out sterile. It is often used to kill off algal bloom and it will prevent many diseases from taking root in your tank.

• 1 decade ago

The people above explained what a UV sterilizer is well enough.

You do not need one for a saltwater tank.Most tanks don't use them.

Some people with well-developed reefs use them, but that's because reefs can be expensive and time-consuming to contruct. It's an insurance policy for them.

But for a regular, new tank? A waste of money.

Source(s): My tank runs just fine without one.
  • 1 decade ago

Adding a UV sterilizer to your aquarium is like insurance for your home or apartment. Proper use is reliant upon proper aquarium care, such as regular water changes and filter maintenance. UV only targets free-floating microorganisms, not nuisances attached to your fish, substrate, plants, decorations, or corals.

For optimum performance, UV sterilizers should be placed after your biological or mechanical filtration. Also, the flow rate through the sterilizer should be controlled, based on the manufacturer's recommendations. This ensures the UV sterilizer is targeting microorganisms - not debris - and has the correct amount of exposure time to eradicate (kill) the nuisance. Your chosen UV sterilizer will have easy-to-follow guidelines for both setup and use.

UV sterilizers can be set up in a variety of configurations, be it stand-alone or housed inside a canister filter, hung on your aquarium walls or tucked inside your aquarium stand. They are available in a variety of models, each designed to target aquatic nuisances, not your budget.

By incorporating an UV sterilizer to your impressive aquarium husbandry skills and effective filtration components, you can easily boost the cleanliness, clarity, and health of your prized aquarium

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 5 years ago

A UV sterilizer is a FILTER that uses ultra violet light/radiation to radiate microbes in the water. Basically it is a water filter that uses light instead of media. They are great for removing the "green cloud" algae blooms and getting rid of some microbes and parasites. They are super handy in ponds. Some water treatment facilities (municipal water supplies) use them to filter tap water! Your blue light on the top of your aquarium is most certainly not a UV light. It is just a blue light, or actinic bulb. You would know if you had one as it would be a cylinder with a super bright internal light hooked up to a water pump on your tank and cost you $100+ ;) What parasite do you have and what treatment? Did you remove the carbon (chemical filtration)? Did you do a water change first to improve water quality and facilitate healing?

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.