?
? asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 1 decade ago

What are the three books that most impacted you and why?

It can be anything from the first book you read all on your own, to the hottest best-seller that you just could not put down! And please, tell me WHY it struck you like it did. Thanks.

Favorite Answer

1- 'The Diary of Anne Frank'

Her memoir is such a sad yet oddly uplifting peace. After reading it, it's as though she is challenging you to be a better person, and you always find yourself asking 'What would Anne do?' Her story is morbid, horrible and defile, yet from we can gain an understanding of unrelented isolation, a need for compassion and understanding. And it stands as an open wound of the Holocaust, ensuring that these injustices won't happen again.

2- 'A Room of One's Own' V. Woolf.

A testament to the oppression of women, and thier ineffable contribution to society. Enlgithened me on the plight and suffrage of women, even in present day, highlightin the need to stand up and defeed women's rights as a fundamental basis to democracy.

3- 'Body in the Library' A. Christie.

This was my first introduction to real literature. I found this old copy abandoned at the bus stop, and I took it home and read it in secret (I was 11 at the time). I loved it so much that it inspired me to read more and more classic literature thus introducing me to Dickens, Tolstoy,Brontes, Austen, Forster, Woolf, Harper Lee, Gaskell etc. I'm very thankful to Agatha Christie fo adding such joy in my life, for now I am never detached to a book!

To Kill a Mockingbird. I read this recently after of avoiding it for years. I never had it as required reading, but knew students who had. I'm 24 years old and after reading that I had as though i had missed out on such an amazingly pivotal book. Although my perspective hasnt changed, i believe this book would do a world of good for stubborn and fickle young students.

Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark/More Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark/ Scary Stories 3: More Tales to Chill Your Bones. These were the first "Scary" books I have ever read. I remember getting my first library card when I was about 6 and getting that first volume of stories. They haunted me horribly, but instead of trying to sleep through the fear, I read more and more secretly hoping there was some shadowy figure at the foot of my bed. I am a super horror fan to this day and that was what started it.

Its hard for me to come up with a third, not because i havent read many amazing books, but because to pin down just three is difficult.

A Separate Peace. This was a required book when i was a sophomore in high school. Until this point, for about three years i had stopped reading as voraciously as i had since i was a child. I learned to read at a young age and loved it. I would read all of the time, even when i was supposed to be sleeping. When i read this, reluctantly since required reading is always dreaded, i loved the story and could relate to it. I loved the reminiscence and slight sadness just below the surface. Upon seeing the book now i can find no relation to it, but i remember loving that book. From there i began reading regularly again and havent looked back since.

1."The Art of Living" by Epictetus, interpretation by Sharon Lebell. This is the work of a Roman stoic philosopher. His idea is that philosophy isn't supposed to be a party trick, it is meant to be a tool to help you be a decent content person. Lot's of practical yet thought provoking ideas. Things that are simple yet profound. Here's an example.. When you feel envious of someone ask yourself are you prepared to do what they did to have what they have. I can be envious of Arnold's muscles, but am I willing to wake up every morning at 5 and spend three hours in the gym...

2. "The Watchmen" a graphic novel by Alan Moore

Sure it's a comic book, but it's an incredible comic book.

It's got layers of stuff. Moore creates an entire alternate 1980's where Nixon is still president. Dr. Manhattan's perspective on time is an awesome thought experiment, and the moral arithmetic of the ending is stunning.

3. "Diary" by Chuck Palahniuk. A good novel that creeps up on you.

The Stand by Stephen King - this could well happen to us!

Lady Chatterley's Lover by D H Lawrence - I just thought wow! No other way to describe it really!

My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult - half way through this and it such an explosive subject! my emotions keep changing as I am reading it!

But I have read so many books that have left impressions on me as I have been reading books since I was three! 45 years is a long time and so many books!

"Kill Me Again" by Leslie Rule--It opened my eyes to reincarnation and what could possibly be beyond death. I love that book.

"Message in a Bottle" by Nicholas Sparks--It made me appreciate what I have in relationships and not take for granted that my man is always gonna be there. I realized to appreciate him more and more every day because I never know when his time will come to leave the world and go to that great beyond. I literally cry every time I read that book. LoL.

"Sam's Letter's to Jennifer" by James Patterson--It made me realize that our grandparents are people too. Not just some old body. They had amazing lives and great memories that they are more than willing to share with the younger generations. After reading this book I talked to my grandma about her life growing up and her past relationships and how she met my grandpa. It was just so fascinating!

And I'm gonna throw in a 4th...the Kama Sutra. It jumpstarted my sex life. LoL. I'll stop at that.

1. Les Miserables- i read it in the 7th grade and i was soooo proud that i read a book that big and that mature. Plus it sent a really good message and i loved it's morals. "anyone can change."

2. Harry Potter- i started reading them when i was 11 and i was just so hooked. they really got me into reading even more than i already was. plus the whole anticipation that came with waiting for the next one to come out was nothing i'd ever experienced before. i've never actually felt so personally involved with a book before. Plus the overall moral in the whole series (that love/friendship conquers all) is an excellent message to send to anyone of any age.

3. To Kill A Mockingbird- It's definitely one of the best books i've ever read and probably one of the best ever written. I just loved it and I loved everything it represented.

1) Siddharta by Herman Hesse

A beautiful tale of the search for meaning in life. The second time I read it this book inspired me even more to be myself and seek my own answers! (Wow! Lol.)

2) Timequake by Kurt Vonnegut

This quirky (to say the least) book inspired me to finally write my first novel. Something I'd previously been putting off for over 20 years.

3) The World According to Garp by John Irving

I just love 'the world according to' theme, really. Many issues discussed in this book.

• BILL C

1. Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance, Robert M. Pirsig.

Because it is an enticing story about a man trying to understand himself through a quest for the meaning of 'quality," accompanied by his son.

2. Cat's Cradle, Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.

It is a fun satirical exploration of religion and society.

3. The Island, Aldous Huxley

It explores the inevitability of Power overtaking a primitive Utopian society.

i love reading romance, so i read Noughts And Crosses triology, OMG i can bet you that whoever read that book will love it, i loved it because it made me laugh and cry at the same time, i couldnt get it out of my mind for a few days, i will sooooooooooo recommend it

the mediator, was a funny one, that has loads of imagination, its Fantasy, but i still loved it.

Sink or Swim triology, it was like one of the first romance book i had ever read, by Kate Cann, that book makes you angry, and it also makes you want to be there and somehow live some of the stuff!

1. Animal Ark - it really taught me abouit life and death , so when my gran died , i wasnt as angry about it .

2. Wuthering heights - made me very aware of what men can be like , and it also taught me about true love

3. Harry Potter - It made me proud that i was diffrent , and made my realise you have to be completley normal to be happy