Is late night exercise really the cause of my sleep problems??

I recently went to a doctor who is a specialist on sleep to determine why I don't sleep well. He said that working out after work, (for me usually around 7 until 8-830) will raise my body temperature so much that it is probably disrupting my sleep. The problem is that working out at night is the only time i can do it. I want to know if exercising late in the evening could have that much of an effect on my sleep.

Should also mention two factors: I'm already up at 6am to get ready for work, and that I'm not having trouble getting to sleep, but I apparently wake up throughout the night, without consciously knowing it (from overnight sleep study).

• m c
    Favorite Answer

It could be your only problem, working out that close to bed.

Insomnia is one of the most common problems.

The culprit usually almost found in stress and/ or a super busy life style. What happens is, your so revved up with adrenaline and anxiety during the day that when you hit the sheets. you cant decompress. Your mind continues to reel... and prevent you from nodding off or staying asleep.

An hour or two before hitting the sheets, watch a low-keep movie ,plug in your ipod, or read. let yourself relax.

Don't workout, eat, or drink; these activities can keep your adrenaline pumping. And you know that smoking causes cancer, but you might be surprised to learn that it can over stI'mulate your system, making it hard to snooze.

Changing your sleep environment can help too. Blackout blinds, a sleep mask, or even a clock that doesn't glow, will prevent slivers of light from triggering you to wake up to early. Keeping the temperature down can also help.

If you have tried almost everything yet insomnia persists, ask your MD about prescription sleep aids ( avoid over -the -counter aids, as they tend to be habit-forming)

instead of staying up working out, do you think its a possibility to go to sleep one hour early, and wake up that hour earlier to perform your work out routine?? I'm sure you will not get exhausted and maybe perform with your PB(personal best). getting your motor running, sooner and better, rather getting your self worked up on your work out, and have nothing else to do but sleep?? i know when i work out, im ready for my day. i never want to sleep.

i hope this helps you. Good Luck on your sleep. nothing will stop your workout routine quicker than fatigue.

Source(s): Dr. Holly Phillips ( office in New York) her article in the Cosmo's Health reports-june 2008 "your 7 biggest health questions"(question asked---"why cant i get a good nights sleep"-- i picked out some main trigger points that i thought you liked to know--

WEll I'm a morning person. And I swim before I go to work. It does perk me up and give me lots of energy to get thru the day. That's one of the reasons I do it. So you could be energizing yourself. Some people say if they take a bath at night it relaxes them and puts them to sleep. Other people say it awakens and refreshes them. So I guess you should try exercising in the morning. Try an experiment on the weekend cause I know you said you can only find time at night. Is your schedule the same on the weekend?

Don't ever take the sleeping pills route!!

1. They will damage your liver big time and you can get into serious health problems.

2. You will get hooked up on them and you won't be able to have a normal life any more if you don't take your pills everyday.

The sleeping pills industry is damaging our health by capitalizing on our ignorance, and by distracting people from effective and natural ways to deal with this problem. I had been taking prescription sleep medications [Ambien] for over 5 years. It stopped working and I simply took more. Still did not work. Nights were very difficult - medication put me to sleep but I would wake up after 2–3 hours with a strong sympathetic response (fast pulse, pounding heartbeat, wide awake alert). It was a very difficult cycle to break. I was really in bad shape due to lack of sleep.

After years of struggling I was able to cure my insomnia naturally and pretty fast. I followed the Sleep Tracks sleep optimization program, here is their official web -site if you want to take a look: http://www.insomniacure.net/

Ohhh..and Good Luck!

• Flex

I'm not a professional at this...as for myself, when i workout in the evenings...I ususally have a hard time falling alseep at a decent hour b/c i'm still so pumped up from my workout. I actually get this big surge of energy. It doesn't happen all the time, but enough to notice! Maybe the same thing is happenng to you??

well exercise tires you out and you sleep better that way. Take a hot shower...drink camomile tea..and relax..lay in bed and read a book. This works for me.

You have to relax your mind n tired your body out and trust me you will sleep. Good Luck..hope this helps

Source(s): I could never get to go to sleep early. But if i made myself i fell asleep, if not I could stay awake all night on the computer ...tv etc.

yes it could because you get your body moving and more alert when you exercise at night.. get up early and work out and go to bed earlier at night, it will allow your body to fall into a deaper sleep

it's better if you actually worked out in the morning when you wake up

and yea when you're body gets heated up like that it's hard for it to return to a normal temperature in a couple of hours making it uncomfortable for you to sleep

yes it would but something that does make you tired is playing a team game for example if you have a match your adrenaline kicks in and when you stop playing you are really tired. but you should exercise in the morning itl set you up for the day aswell

When you exercise, your blood flow increases. Because you are so active at night (your blood flow) you cannot sleep.

Source(s): Personal experience

The best thing is that working out in morning is the best way.

working out in the night has its own effects. so try to work out in the morning than in the night.