Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

Are there Christians out there who have never read the Bible?

I know the majority of Christians here do actually read their Bibles. But I really have to wonder about some of you. There are apparently a large number of Christians out there who do not know shellfish, polyester, and football are sins. Because I am a kind person, I have done the hard part of actually looking up the scripture for you:

Leviticus 11:7 And the pig, though it has a split hoof completely divided, does not chew the cud; it is unclean for you. You must not eat their meat or touch their carcasses; they are unclean for you.

Leviticus 11:12 Whatsoever hath no fins nor scales in the waters, that shall be an abomination unto you.

Leviticus 19:19 You shall keep my statutes. You shall not let your cattle breed with a different kind; you shall not sow your field with two kinds of seed; nor shall there come upon you a garment of cloth made of two kinds of stuff.

Honestly, are there Christians out there who have never read this?

Do you know how funny it is to see your clone answer your question? Made me spit coffee everywhere, lol.

Favorite Answer

They usually say, "The Old Testament doesn't count anymore." I thought Jesus said he didn't come to do away with the Law. I find it intersting to that they have to go to the Old Testament to attack homosexuals. What's this about "the Old Testament doesn't count anymore"?

This dietary limitations applied only to those under the Mosaic Law, for the statement of Lev. 11: 8 "They are unclean for you." for the Israelites.

Since the Law Covenant was abolished with the sacrifical death of Jesus, the prohibitions were canceled, and once more humans are under the same broad provision given to Noah. (Col. 2: 13-17) As stated earlier, the only restriction given to Noah was not to eat the blood.

So there were many changes to make in the lives of Christ followers, who were no longer under this Law Covenant.

That is why three and half years after Jesus death, Peter still would not eat any animals that had once been considered unclean. Acts 10: 10-15 ".....And a voice came to him: "Rise, Peter, slaughter and eat!" But Peter said: "Not at all, Lord, because never have I eaten anything defiled and unclean." And the voice spoke again to him, the second time: "You stop calling defiled the things God has cleansed."

So take the Bibles advise given to Peter and "You stop calling defiled the things God has cleansed."

Ro. 10:4 "Christ is the end of the Law, so that everyone exercising faith may have righteousness."

Col. 2:13-16 "(God) kindly forgave us all our trespasses and blotted out the handwritten document against us, ....Therefore let no man judge you in eating and drinking or in respects of a festival or an observance of the new moon or of the Sabbath."

Matt. 5:17 "Do not think I came to destroy the Law of the Prophets. I came, not to destroy, but to fulfill."

Rom. 6: 6 & 7 "Now we have been discharged from the Law..."

Rom. 6: 15-17" Shall we commit a sin because we are not under law but under underserved kindness? Never may that happen!

2 Cor. 3: 7-11 "done away with"

I'm a Christian, so I feel I'm qualified to try to answer your question. The reason is that many Christians are ignorant. I know damn well that the person I may be debating at one point in time may have read the Bible. That's why I try not to bring up any specific verses, but try to argue my case in a more understandable way. I know that they may have read it, and I agree that you probably know more than 99% of the Christians you've debated. Most Christians honestly don't take a good long book at the Bible and earnestly try to understand it. I'm not gonna say I understand 100% of it, but my knowledge of that mixed with my knowledge of science and what not can help me out in many debates. There's still some I need to learn though. I'm still young, so I got time :) Honestly, the ignorance that many Christians show is unbearable. I hear so many dumb comments coming out of fellow Christians' mouths sometimes, and it makes me ashamed to be associated with their same religion. I try to keep my religion personal...I don't like a lot of the things that come along with organized religion. Just don't label all of us as ignorant. There are still some of us out there that are alright :)

Leviticus 11:7 And the pig .... unclean FOR YOU.

Leviticus 11:12 Whatsoever hath no fins... abomination UNTO YOU.

Leviticus 19:19 makes common sense for that time ... ever try to wash a garment made of silk and say, blue jean material?

Honestly, didn't you read the entire verse? These aren't for us, they are for Israelites who lived thousands of years ago. Says so right in the verse.

The vast majority of Christians do not, indeed, read the bible. They merely follow what their pastor preaches from the pulpit. And therein lies the whole problem. They wind up hating everyone and become discontented. Some pastors, like Fred up in Kansas are really into hate. While others (Ted Haggard, Jimmy Swaggart, Jim Bakker, etc.) are more into hypocrisy. But the result is the same.

And then, after the flood, God gave Noah the beasts to eat. DUH, honestly, haven't you ever read that? The only restriction was that it was to be bled properly.

(Genesis 9:3-4) 3 Every moving animal that is alive may serve as food for YOU. As in the case of green vegetation, I do give it all to YOU. 4 Only flesh with its soul—its blood—YOU must not eat.

And depending on your religion, you can eat shellfish and Jesus fulfilled the Mosiac law of Levitucus 11:7,12,19, whew, haven't you ever read that either?

(Romans 10:4) 4 For Christ is the end of the Law, so that everyone exercising faith may have righteousness.

Colossians 2:3-17

EDIT: I leave scriptures and I get thumbs down. NO one wants to even read the Bible when you quote it here as Christians still! Go figure !!!

• korban

For Jezebel. Your not telling the truth are ya?

Yes there are plenty of Christians that never read the Bible.

If you need an answer to what these passages mean just ask!

I'd be happy to explain them to you.

Yes, often they seem to cherry pick the passages that refer to their own morals and leave everythjing else unread (in case of OT passages often with the reasoning that only the passages that include their own morals have to be followed even after Jesus, whereas all other passages aren´t applicable anymore due to Jesus sacrifice).

@Clone answer:

Yes, I already wondered why you wrote an answer for your own question. Till I read the name and found out that it wasn´t you :D

I left a post yesterday about marriage as defined by the bible, assuming they knew the verses...they told me to get out of the OT....so I had to go dig up the verses for them...in the NT...No most of them dont have a clue about the bible.

Yes, I have read the Bible, And Listened to it while reading it on audio and studied it and have an Assoc. Degree in Biblical Theology, I do know what the scripture say's in regards to 'un-clean' creatures, But have you not realized that

In Mark 7, Jesus makes it clear that spiritual "cleanness" is not affected by what goes into your mouth and stomach. But does that mean God doesn't care what you put in your body or how you take care of it? By abstaining from those meats listed as unclean in the Bible, I make a statement about God: I believe God cares about the whole person: spirit, soul and body!

It seems logical to me that God would not provide such an elaborate categorization in Leviticus 11 of those animals which are clean vs. unclean unless the distinction had some basis in physical reality. Many of the animals labeled as "unclean" are primarily scavengers. They do not have the kind of multiple digestive system that the cud-chewers do, so the poisons that they consume go directly into their flesh. Only the unclean animals are regular hosts to such parasites as the trichina worm.

Isn't it amazing that almost every cookbook notes that you should always be extra careful to fully cook pork to a well-done state, but they never mention that their unspoken reason is so that you will be sure to kill the trichina worms in their little cysts

It is an accepted fact that much of the pork in America, even with all our "modern" health precautions, probably contains trichina. Health authorities also warn against eating shell fish at certain times of year because they are poisonous then. They don't bother to mention that the shellfish have the same scavenging habits all year long that causes this problem. Trichinosis and possible poisoning is bad enough, but the unclean animals are host also to much more serious problems for humans. The AIDS virus and other serious diseases may have been spread by humans eating contaminated monkeys and/or other unclean animals.

By abstaining from those animals listed as unclean in the Bible, I am making another statement about the nature of God: I do not believe God is capricious and arbitrary.

All of the same reasoning about "law and grace" which some attempt to apply to "do away" with the Sabbath and Holy Days is also used to "do away" with any notice of the distinction of unclean meats. By abstaining from unclean meats, I am making an effort to be consistent in the way I view the issues of law and grace: What I eat or don't eat doesn't "earn" me salvation. It doesn't make me "more spiritual" than the next person. It doesn't "earn Brownie Points" with God. It just makes sense to me to accept God's word on what He created to be used for food.

God did not first make the distinction among animals known at Mount Sinai. Noah knew of the distinction centuries before the "Law" was given on Mount Sinai-and long before Israel (Jacob) started the family later known as the nation of Israel. Noah took seven pairs of each clean animal and only one pair of each unclean animal on the ark. I see no reason to think that the distinction was created just at the time of the Flood. It would seem most logical that it had been made at creation-Abel sacrificed animals. His sacrifice was acceptable to God. Given all the other evidence in scripture, I cannot imagine that he sacrificed a pig! It makes sense to me that this distinction, which didn't "start" with the giving of the Old Covenant, isn't "ended" by the coming of the New.

Only clean animals were sacrificed to the Eternal. Sacrificial animals all represented Christ. Under the Law, sheep, goats, cattle, doves and pigeons were the only animals sacrificed. But Noah sacrificed one of every kind of clean animal at the end of the Flood, so in one way, you might say they all can represent Christ. Given:

The principle of sacrificing only clean animals

The fact that the priests and the people ate parts of the sacrifices

The fact that Jesus said his disciples are to "eat his flesh"

For me there is a symbolism in abstaining from unclean meats year around that is similar to the reason for eating unleavened bread during one season of the year. Eating only clean meats represents for me "taking in" only the pure truth of Jesus, not feasting on a hodgepodge of false doctrines and pagan symbolism, and accepting and following false prophets and false messiahs.

No one really believes everything is good for food! We all have our own list of "abominable" foods-for most folks in America, that would include dogs, cats, horses, spiders, centipedes, etc. The reasoning of some folks on eating unclean meats is the same as it is for deciding to observe the pagan holidays - " I don't have to keep any days God listed in the Bible... but I can keep other days for all my own reasons." Likewise, they may say, " I can eat anything I want to, but here's the list of what I don't want to."

I believe it makes sense to have my list of "abominable things" be the same as God's rather than invent my own.