Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

Jack russell help!!!!?

My jack russell is about 7. He was a year when I recived him. He was never all that hyper, Don't get me wrong he can get very out of controll sometimes. My mother had a baby about 2 years ago and my dog snickers is very afraid. I am not sure if it is beacuse he doesnt want to harm the baby. Or if he doesnt want the baby to hurt him. Also what is a jack russell avarge life spand. My dog is very healthy and well taken care of. He is not overly spoiled but he gets alot of attention. Oh and yes he is a full jack russell. Sadly we have no papers on him. He was adopted from an abuseive home. If you have any idea how to get him to ease up around that baby and to play with him please help!!!! Thank you soooo much. Oh and of you have any stories about your jack russells im willing to read them lol.

Favorite Answer

Jack Russells typically like to be the center of attention. The baby is taking the attention away. When the baby gets bigger, it will get better. New animals and children in their environment usually does scare them. I would just let him keep his distance because when a jr gets scared and pushed too hard it is very likely to bite. Mine has done it, and those little teeth hurt. Mine adjusted to other animals and kids fine by just ignoring them!

As far as life span.......my jack russell is 13 now. She is not as cute as she use to be. Her head has shrunken and is kinda boney looking now, but she is still full of energy and life. She plays outside every day and loves to run. She does the cutest, most annoying trick! She loves to play ball so she will roll it to you with her nose. Then you roll it back. If you stop, she will stick her nose under it and throw it at you!

Sweet story: Last month my cousins daughter (3 yrs) jumped in the deep end of the pool. She had on a life vest so it wasn't a big deal, but she is a drama queen. She starts freaking out and screaming and flailing around. Our jack russell jumped in the pool and tried to save her! Then last week my brother jumped in and was playing at the bottom, and she jumped in after him! That's pretty brave for a dog that can barely even swim!!

• cen5

He is probably afriad of the baby if he has never encountered one before (my grandmother's jack russell is a bit like thsi with strange men, as most of the poeple who visit my gramdother are female, so when there are workmen/ window cleaners etc, she will try to hide from them). If the dog is gentle, try getting the tioddler to feed him treats. That way the dog realises that the toddler is not some evil miniature person, but a friend, and it will build a bond of trust between the dog and the baby.

Jack russells are quite long lived. A haven't heard of any that haven't lived beyond the age of 15, the oldest one i have personally known of died a few days before its 23rd birthday

Developed in England some 200 years ago to hunt foxes, the Jack Russell Terrier, also known as the Parson Russell Terrier, is a lively, independent, and clever little dog. He's charming and affectionate, but he's also a handful to train and manage. For experienced dog owners only!

http://tinyurl.com/5j579l

• john n

these little dogs can live a long life up to 18 when they are treated and fed good. he is nervous of the baby and doesn't know how to go about playing with him. the baby is curious too and has to be taught to pet the dog and not be rough with him. my 4 yr border collie is nervous of little kids to because of the way they run and scream and of course grab at her, i have to watch her closely or put her in her pen whenever little kids are around just in case she nips. if possible have the baby sit on ur lap and have the dog there too, then place the babys hand gently on ur dogs head and show him to be nice to the dog. do this a lot and even sit on the floor with both of them and keep telling ur sibling nice and show him how to pet the dog. it will take time for both of them to get to know one another but it may work and the dog will get use to the baby. as the baby gets older ur dog will get accustomed and just watch from a distance or might even go for a pet. good luck

This is NOT breed related!

Of course it's scared of the stinking screaming *thing* in the house. Keep the baby away from it!!

Human babies are scary dangerous things.

There's no such thing as "full;breed or blooded "or anything else;it's PUREBRED.

JRT have about the same top-end as any other dog that size,15 years+/-.

I've groomed judged hunted/worked LOTZA JRT,enough to know that they aren't "my cuppa tea",though they can GREAT workers.

life spand is about 12 -20 years all depends, well about your problem the baby probably pulled or poked the dogs eye at some point and now the dog doesnt want to be hurt, what you can do to help your dog is maybe have your sis/bro baby crawl and have your dog watch and slowly hell come around to him/her male sure you watch the baby as much as you watch the dog.

you could try holding the dog near the baby and let the baby pat him that could work..most dogs are affraid of children .

the life span is 14-15 years

introduce him to the baby very gradually. don't let him touch any of the baby's stuff. if they are fed and exercised right, then they could live over 20. try feeding wellness. my rat terriers love it.