My friend has made up an imaginary girlfriend. What should i do?

In our group of 5 we're all in our mid 20's, all except for my friend (A), who's got the Im.Gf, has a girlfriend. I think he made it up after he was excluded from this weekend away by another of our friends (C) as it was a couple's only holiday. I felt a bit annoyed that so I said we should all go out just as guys the weekend after. It was then that he said he had the girlfriend. This was 3 weeks ago.

After we all asked when were we gonna see her (he kept saying she was too busy), last night he went on a "date" which was when I found out he made the GF up as he lied about where he was going and me and my GF saw him alone at the cinema.

I feel a bit vexed and worried for him. What should I do?

Favorite Answer

this is really sad for him clearly he feels left out of your group as the only one without a girlfriend. i dont think you should embarress him by saying you saw him alone and know he made her up. maybe you should suggest that this new girlfriend id changing him and you dont think she is right for him this may give him the chance to get out of this lie by "ending" the fake relationship.

then id say help him find a girl. maybe you and your girlfriend could go with him to a singles night or something for morral support that way your gf is there so you dont have to worry about being chatted up but he can use you guys as an escape if he really isnt feeling it.

firstly u mus pull him up about dis situation and at the same time somebody shud apologise for not inviting him on dis break.hes very hurt.hes feeling very insecure for sure.hes made up a girlfriend dats doesnt even exist.y did he get left out anyway.thsi has a big affect on him and u no it too.plse talk to him asap.im actually feeling a little sorry for dis guy and i dont even no him............hes wrong for lying to u all but he jus wants u lot to feel like hes got a life too.but he hasnt really has he if he has to tell a whopping lie like dis.u guys didnt consider wat effect dis wud have on your friend......its sounds to like his self esteem is very low.do something nice to cheer him if hes a good friend too u all.make a fuss of him and involve him something special.hope u all get it sorted but honesty is the best policy.u dont want to see as him as the friend dat tells big fat porkies all the time.u will start to judge him if hes telling the truth on things.

It's possible he didn't really make her up. Maybe he got stood up and he decided to catch a movie. Maybe he was waiting for her at the movie and she didn't show up. Or maybe he did make her up. If he did, he needs a little help. Be a supportive friend and talk to him about it. He probably just needs someone to be there for him because he feels left out and different. Also, maybe you could try to go out with him to a club and help him meet girls. Just be a friend.

aww poor guy.. maybe u should go away from ur GF, and just have a guys night just the two of u.. and try to get him to spit the truth out, but dont force him.. otherwise.. just tell him that u no shes not true, and be there for him when he feels really bad..

There's always a possibility that she just didn't show up to the date and he didn't want to waste the tickets. My guess is that he likes a girl but he doesn't officially have a girlfriend yet. He wants you to respect him. I wouldnt confront him about it but be nice to him because its obvious that he needs support.

Wow............II

...................~

Dont tell anybody if you truly dont want him to commit suicide..... Talk to him privately about the situation. Some people do things such as this to make others around them view them differently.... some people even walk down the street and act as if they are talking to someone on their phone when in reality they aren't. Maybe you could get him a real girlfriend if he is in fact your friend

poor guy.. he probably feels lonely because everyone else he knows has a girlfriend and he's probably been rejected before so now feels like he can't get a girl and has to tell you guys he has a girlfriend to make himself feel better about you guys having girlfriends.. have a talk with him.. make sure he isn't depressed.. it hurts when you know all your friends have girlfriends and you aren't able to get one...

poor guy. best not to hurt his feelings or confront him. leave it. he will either find a real gf or drop the story. it is peer pressure. i know poeple who have done this. the story gets more and more intricate, along with their imagination.

To bad one of your lady friends did not have a friend to bring along for the dude.

i think you should approach him and ask him for the truth. maybe he has a problem with his past and wants to make up for the lost time by inventing a situation.