Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

How can a man, particularly one who serves God, be able to turn away from the lust of the eyes?

Favorite Answer

According to Romans 8:13 —

“For if ye live after the flesh, ye shall die: but if ye through the Spirit do mortify the deeds of the body, ye shall live.”

The Spirit mortifies the deeds of the flesh. What is that Spirit? There is a pronouncement in John 6:63 which says—

“It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life.”

The Word of God is the Spirit that can kill the lust of the flesh. If you have the word of God in your heart, it can kill all the evil in your life! That is written in Colossians 3:5—

“Mortify therefore your members which are upon the earth; fornication, uncleanness, inordinate affection, evil concupiscence, and covetousness, which is idolatry:”

There is no other way to take the evil in your life except for the word of God. Proof of that is written in Psalms 119:11—

“Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee.”

David himself "hid God’s word in my heart..." Thereby proving that, really, God`s word is a potent weapon against all evil. In Hebrew 4:12 it states—

“For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.”

God’s word is life. It should be used as a deterrent to crimes for nothing is as effective. It is even more effective than the way some acknowledge as a true deterrent for solving crime — the death penalty. In fact, we have, for quite sometime now, in the history of mankind, have been implementing such penalties as electric chair, gas chamber, lethal injection, and the likes; still, crime rates continue to rise as years go by.

This is where a lot of people are mistaken: They did not study the bible — of spirituality. Spiritually speaking, the Bible is the only source of authority over man and his being because he is a creation from God and God knows best what to do about man. And the prescription of God in the Bible is that, His word is the most powerful and the most potent weapon in destroying evil in man. This is where a lot of institutions that were established by man failed. They use the wrong means of technique or device to combat evil. We should use God's Word to fight iniquities. This is the most potent of all! If people come to realize and have faith in the word of God, there will be peace and order even without police officers.

You have to stay away from situations that encourage lust.

You have to be careful of what you watch on TV, what you hear on the radio, and of ads on billboards.

It is very, very difficult because we are bombarded with lustful stuff. Just ask the Lord for forgiveness when you are tempted, and ask Him to help you "run far away!"

May His mercy upon us be sufficient.

He will never put you in a position that you cant conquer.

So far, I haven't been able to turn away from the lust of my eyes.

I'm still working on it and asking my Lord to help me, but for some reason He's not helping me with this.

I feel like Paul did when he asked God to take his "thorn in the flesh" away from him and our Lord replied "my grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness".

If you find the answer to your question, please e-mail me: ismaelanttttonio@yahoo.com

To Him who sits on the throne and to the Lamb be praise and honor and glory and power, for ever and ever! Jesus is Lord.

It is quite easy. You are after things of your own preferences. When one prefers to do the will of God, his passion becomes that. The Indian Orthodox Church is having a great saint, who lived his whole life in close relationship with God (St. Gregorios) in fasting and prayers. His intestines were totally damaged due to continuous fasting. He defeated all temptations and now, millions of people visit his tomb and receive blessings from God through his intervention. Living witnesses are there who have coomunicated with him even after his death. These are not fairy tales. It is about a saint who died just a century ago. Those who love the Lord, consider everything useless, since they are enlightened by the spirit of God. Only those people who are after their own minds' illusions, find it hard to please God.

• Pierce

I thought lust was in the groin - not the eyes.

That's what I've been trying to figure out for years..... let me know if you find the answer!!

By keeping very, very busy.

How do you serve something that doesn't exist?

God,... would you like some fries with that?

God?

God?

GOD?? Hellooooo....