G F asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 1 decade ago

How long does fluency in German take?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Depends if you are serious or not.

Depends on your perseverance and tenacity in facing all the challenges - great or small - that will pave your path in mastering the language.

A good way to start :

-a real Will to learn,

-acceptance of corrections - even from strangers - when you make some mistakes,

-total immersion..if at all possible. Get into it by watching TV, listening to the news & to German music, watching films and reading books. Try to get to know Germans, check out with their Embassy if there are special German evenings that non-Germans can enjoy too. (most of the expatriate community - all over the world - has some sort of club for social and/or cultural purposes)

-strive to be as assidious as possible in your studies.

Each student is different, everyone has a different capacity in assimilating a new language.

If you live in Germany, you'll get the hang of it quite quickly..a year - probably - between the total immersion and taking serious language lessons. If not, it will take you much longer.

I am talking here about the everyday, usual practice of German not about its literary knowledge...

Practice makes perfect :-)

Good luck to you!

Edit : my son went for 1 semestre, through an exchange program, to a German university and HAD TO become fluent quite fast in order to understand the lectures and follow the curriculum given in German.

Source(s): language tutor
  • 1 decade ago

It took me about 10 years to get reasonably fluent, enough to hold down a teaching job in Germany and have a reasonable social life.

Edit:

One good way to learn is to find a German pen friend. Many Germans want to improve their English and will happily write to an English-speaking pen friend while also being happy to help you with your German.

Another good idea, and the best way to learn, is to go to a German-speaking country and stay there for a while. Find a job, and get out and about as much as you can, see the country, meet people, etc.

If you get to study German at uni then you will almost certainly have a term or two in a German speaking country as part of your course.

Source(s): Student of German and sometime EFL teacher
  • ?
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

The others have given sufficient knowledge on that. I'm a local german speaker and sure, the language is difficult BUT I do think so is some other language in the beginning. You can be taught german however although you know the way to construct sentences, right grammar and know the way to pronaunce the phrases...if you don't preserve making use of it/training it, you'll "free" it once more.

• Gerd P
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

Fluency in German takes lifetime learning if you want to have orthography, grammar, and pronunciation correct.

And if you seem to be done they develop something called "Rechtschreibreform" and you can start all over again.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

this depends on how quick u can learn the language, we r all different u know!! except, foreigners always see to learn english easily :O

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.