can you get a playstation 3 chipped to play pirated games ?

im going to hong kong and have recently bought a playstation 3 in australia..

ive heard that they sell alot of pirated games over there, but ive also heard that you can't get your playstation chipped to play pirated games?

whats the deal with that?

are the pirated games completlyt useless and a scam or will they play on the playstation without needing any addons or mods?

im completly lost :S

also are the genuine games much cheaper over there?

or is it not worth the saving, and how much will the saving be?

cheers all

• kozzm0
    Best Answer

NO there are NO effective modchips for the ps3. It's not a ps2, its copy protection is based in the firmware which is rooted in one of the Cell's SPE's and not hackable, and you can't alter its function with anything as simple as a chip and soldering iron either.

There is some kind of trivial mod, called Infectus I think, that allows you to copy the firmware or something. It's worthless since you can back up the firmware anyway, and there is no way to 'dump' the part that is hardware based.

In short, for a ps3 to be effectively hacked or modded would require the spe's and the hypervisor to be fully reverse-engineered, then a custom firmware would have to be designed that could remain compatible with the Cell. That's not gonna happen. Probably not ever, just like fully functional open-source drivers for ATI Radeon cards have been worked on for 10 years and still don't exist.

While it is easier to get away with piracy in Australia and Hong Kong, it's not possible with the ps3, and even if it were, being in Australia wouldn't save you from having Sony instantly brick your ps3 for your EULA violation. Rest assured if a mod or hack ever does exist Sony will know about it before you do. By the time you have the mod or hack done, the ps3 firmware will have been updated to detect the mod, and it will react by informing Sony that your ps3 is modded, then delete itself forever while Sony bans your ps3 and your name from PSN and firmware downloads for life.

Read the firmware EULA, it's spelled out in there what they have in store for modders. (Lawsuits, too.) Also check this out, if you ever live in the United States:

http://www.ps3forums.com/showthread.php?t=89425

• Ramona

I don't think that PS3 games will get pirated, especially not anytime soon. Also, the PS3 is a very complex console, so pirating games seems very unlikely right now to me. Blu-Ray DVD burners are pretty expensive and Blank Blu-Ray DVD's are pretty pricey as well. It would be cheaper for people to just buy the games in stores. Plus, I like buying the actual games because you can't have a gaming collection if you have a bunch of games copied onto blank DVD discs.

Ps3 Chipped

• Helen

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/axOm1

they will make a chip like they've done for wii n 360. the hard part for everyone will be gettin a blu-ray burner. they cost alot. i payed enough for my ps3 n would like to buy the original games because your risking stuffin up your ps3 by getting it moded to play pirated games. n then youll hav no warenty on it.

Yes you can get your PS3 chipped.. but they dont work.. all chips are traced by PlayStation.. so if you put a chip in your PS3 and go online you will be unable to login to your account.. therefore it will disable some features..

Yes you actually can get it chipped but I wouldnt recommend it. Back when PSX/PSone's were big I got mine chipped and I was left disappointed.

Source(s): My partner's slimy friend chips peoples playstation's.

Hells no just buy ur games like everybody else =)

no you cant !!!

Source(s): my brother is comp expert he went to devry 25 years ago he does it for a living !