why do people try so hard to disprove god?

god is love and hope, jesus lived and died for our sins, we have the bible which was wrote by the prophets and diciples. it is first hand accounts wrote down by people who followed god and witnessed miracles. yet we won't accept that as being good enough but we believe everything in history books isn't that what the bible is the oldest history book we have? the most important one we have? why is there so many people who want to disprove gods existance? is it because we don't want to have to answer for our actions? or are people afraid that if heavens real than that means hell is too? i don't understand why to some people religion can be so offensive, just because we can't see the oxygen we breath does that mean its not real either? in many ways you can see god are people just afraid to look?

19 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Atheism is the view that God does not exist. Atheism is not a new development. Psalm 14:1, written by David in around 1000 B.C., mentions atheism – “The fool says in his heart, ‘There is no God.’” Recent statistics show an increasing number of people becoming atheists, with up to 10% of people worldwide declaring themselves adherents of atheism. So, why are more and more people becoming atheists? Is atheism truly the logical position atheists claim it to be?

Why does atheism even exist? Why doesn’t God simply reveal Himself to people, proving that He exists? Surely if God would just appear everyone would believe in Him! The problem with this idea is that it is not God’s desire to just convince people that He exists. It is God’s desire for people to believe in Him by faith (2 Peter 3:9) and accept His gift of salvation (John 3:16). Yes, God could appear and demonstrate once and for all that He exists. The problem is that God clearly demonstrated His existence many times in the Old Testament (Genesis chapters 6-9; Exodus 14:21-22; 1 Kings 18:19-31). Did the people believe that God exists? Yes! Did they turn from their evil ways and obey God? No! If a person is not willing to accept God’s existence by faith, then they are definitely not ready to accept Jesus Christ as their Savior by faith (Ephesians 2:8-9). That is God’s desire – for people to become Christians, not just theists (those who believe God exists).

The Bible tells us that God’s existence must be accepted by faith. Hebrews 11:6 declares, “And without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to Him must believe that He exists and that He rewards those who earnestly seek Him.” The Bible reminds us that we are blessed when we believe and trust in God by faith, “Then Jesus told him, ‘Because you have seen me, you have believed; blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed’” (John 20:29).

The fact that the existence of God must be accepted by faith does not mean belief in God is illogical. There are many good arguments for the existence of God. Please visit our “Does God Exist?” page. The Bible teaches that God’s existence is clearly seen in the universe (Psalm 19:1-4), in nature (Romans 1:18-22), and in our own hearts (Ecclesiastes 3:11). With all that said, again, the existence of God cannot be proven, it must be accepted by faith.

At the same time, it takes just as much faith to believe in atheism. To make the absolute statement “God does not exist!” is to make a claim of knowing absolutely everything there is to know about everything – and of having been everywhere in the universe there is to go – and having witnessed everything there is to be seen. Of course, no atheist would make these exact claims. However, that is essentially what they are claiming when they state that God does not exist. Atheists cannot prove that God does not, for example, live in the center of the sun, or beneath the clouds of Jupiter, or in some distant nebula. This cannot be proven, so it cannot be proven that God does not exist. It takes just as much faith to be an atheist as it does to be a theist.

So, we are back at square one. Atheism cannot be proven and God’s existence must be accepted by faith. I believe, strongly, that God exists. I readily admit that my belief in God’s existence is based on faith. At the same time, I strongly reject the idea that belief in God is illogical. I believe that God’s existence can be clearly seen, keenly sensed, and be proven philosophically and scientifically necessary. Again, for more information please visit our “Does God Exist?” page. “The heavens declare the glory of God; the skies proclaim the work of his hands. Day after day they pour forth speech; night after night they display knowledge. There is no speech or language where their voice is not heard. Their voice goes out into all the earth, their words to the ends of the world” (Psalms 19:1-4).

• 1 decade ago

Every year, more and more people are becoming increasingly educated. In the United States, there are programs in high school, where students can go through and become more aware of the sciences around us. It is likely that these students don't believe in "God" because they know that their education can't go along with "God's plan." I believe that as time progresses, science will find most of the answers, if not all (that will "disprove" "God"). This will mean that we will finally leave religion behind for the betterment of humanity.

Visit godisimaginary.com with an open mind and see what I'm trying to say.

• 4 years ago

I don't care what others believe - I know there are no gods - but a lot of questions are for unbelievers and religion affects everybody so why shouldn't atheists or anybody get on R & S? I get on here to learn and have fun, it's entertaining, there are some very witty people on here.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Fear and nothing but fear.

They are afraid that they have been living and wasting their whole lives worried about material wealth, when there is actually a much deeper reason for their lives, and that is to worship the loving God that infinitely provides them with all the material and nonmaterial things that they have. Therefore they fear they have wasted all their time being ungrateful, blind and ignorant, when they should have been thanking the lord for everything that he has given them.

First: God is giving, and then second: God is giving, and third: God is very very giving. God gives and gives us everything infinitely but all that God asks from us in return, is a moment of acknowledgement, and even that for our own benefit , so that we become humble and better characters. Therefore, God does not take anything. All God does is give and give and keep giving.

Praise God Almighty forever!!!

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

"Why do people try so hard to disprove god?"

I don't. But when someone says "God is real, and I can prove it!" or some such nonsense, I ask them to. So far, no one has been able to.

"just because we can't see the oxygen we breath does that mean its not real either?"

We can detect oxygen in many ways, with instruments that make up for our inability to see it.

Show me some way to do the same for your god.

• 1 decade ago

Ok.

Look at it from out point of view shall we.

We have this book. Its a pretty interesting book. Its about Melissa, the flying pink unicorn. OH how we worshop Melissa, thank her for making our day bright and tending to the flowers. WE HAVE FAITH in Melissa, why can't you just accept her? WE have faith in her! Shes the flowers, shes the trees. We have this book writen by elves proving her existance!

Ok.

Will you accept the flying pink unicorn or will we just agree to disagree?

Source(s): Atheist.
  • 1 decade ago

Because it's the greatest battle Satan has left. The world, for millenia, has tried to rid itself of Christians, but it can't. Because God will always be available for those that will accept Him.

Think about it, no other religion receives more hate and more slander than Christianity. This isn't coincidence. This is Satan fighting probably the longest battle he ever has. Why? Because, if he can disprove God alltogether, why bother with the daily temtations?

• 1 decade ago

The only "proof" we have is the sheer lack of evidence. You, however, have even less.

We can measure and detect oxygen. Thats how we know it exists. How do we measure and detect your god?

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Wonderful question indeed. The answer is but very simple. You can not satisfy yourself, if you accept that God exists. People have a weird tendency of thinking that whatever they do is right. It is from the egoist thinking of "I am always right", all evil thoughts emanate. Accepting God is too hard for them, who consider themselves superior to all others. What they don't realize is that, they are slaves to their own narrow mentality, which is driving them to eternal destruction. Everyone, who lives according to the tendencies of his mind, never gets peace and is always frustrated. But he who does things only in accordance with the will of God, lives in absolute peace and things come his way, without him doing a bit. Unless people leave their egoistic lifestyle, they can never accept God and receive his love.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I know a lot of people who had religion forced on them, and that's why they don't believe.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Probably because people like you seem set on proving to us that he exists. It's a vicious cycle.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.