Why was God so cruel to Job?

If God's nature is cruel - how can anyone desire to worship Him except out of fear? How can anyone see the Book of Job as enlightening? It's a terrifying story ps I am an agnostic but also a bit of a pantheist/Deist... I don't believe that God is cruel, I suspect He just does not intervene too often... show more If God's nature is cruel - how can anyone desire to worship Him except out of fear? How can anyone see the Book of Job as enlightening? It's a terrifying story

ps I am an agnostic but also a bit of a pantheist/Deist... I don't believe that God is cruel, I suspect He just does not intervene too often...
Update: but I am curious.. I want to understand why people keep quoting the book of Job at me when I bring up the question of free will..

and why did God accept a challenge from Satan?!?!
Update 2: Sure Job had faith, but he had faith in an uncaring, terribly insecure deity
Update 3: does this not sound crazy? : "2. Satan challenges the truth of God’s judgment on Job. (Job 1:11) By implication, Satan is saying God has erred, lost his authority to judge and should set down from the throne of heaven. Further, God has erred in creating humankind in the first place. Human beings are... show more does this not sound crazy? :

"2. Satan challenges the truth of God’s judgment on Job. (Job 1:11) By implication, Satan is saying God has erred, lost his authority to judge and should set down from the throne of heaven. Further, God has erred in creating humankind in the first place. Human beings are incapable of a completely selfless love of men and women for God. They love God only for what they can get from him. The entire human project should be destroyed. Satan has put God on trial.

3. God accepts Satan’s challenge to create a world of undeserved and unremitted suffering in order to settle this question of righteousness and reward. (Job 1:12; 2:6 ) God chooses Job as his personal champion in this trial by ordeal and authorizes his destruction. (Job 1:13-19; 2:7-8)"
Update 4: BUT WHY DID GOD FEEL THE NEED TO PROVE TO SATAN THAT HIS CREATION HAD FAITH IN HIM? I THOUGHT GOD WAS OMNISCIENT AND WISE
Update 5: but Hannah, why would God feel the need to prove anything to Satan?
Update 6: I don't understand how you can see Job's restoration as making up for God's betrayal - putting the lives of his follower's loved ones in the hands of Satan. Job lost his beloveds, but then was given all sorts of new stuff to make up for it so it's all OK... that explanation isn't enough, to me show more I don't understand how you can see Job's restoration as making up for God's betrayal - putting the lives of his follower's loved ones in the hands of Satan. Job lost his beloveds, but then was given all sorts of new stuff to make up for it so it's all OK... that explanation isn't enough, to me