Chi Guy asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 1 decade ago

Repub Walter Jones supports Karl Rove being held in contempt of Congress. Doesn't this display principle?

Republican Walter Jones of North Carolina is on "The Verdict" at this very moment.

He states that he stands ob right vs wrong and Rove should be forced to testify. He also supported Impeaching Clinton for perjury.

This smacks of a True Conservative. Do you appreciate or are you against this display of principle and integrity?

- stands on - (above)

G-Man (below) Unfortunately, you missed the entire point and ran to your rhetoric bin.

It takes principle to stand for something knowing full well that your party may turn on you for doing so.

Stick with the rhetoric though. I know it sometimes feels soothing.

Favorite Answer

There are some in Congress, on both sides of the aisle, that actually do display political courage at times. Rep. Jones is doing so because he is bucking his party in the House when it is well known that such displays of dissent are not tolerated well by their leadership. Good for him. America needs more like him.

There are at least 2 good reasons for Jones to do this. One, is if his own conscience tells him that it is right to hold people responsible for their actions. The second is, as you imply, if he didn't support what seems to be a supportable action against Rove, how would you justify doing the same later against someone just because they were a democrat?

His consistency here is, whether you believe what happened to Bill Clinton, or what may happen to Karl Rove, is right, is that he believed the evidence he saw and now sees is enough to support further investigations, hence impeachment for Clinton, and contempt of Congress for Rove.

• Bob O

Tough call. During the Clinton scandal I always had the feeling that there were some in Washington that were apalled that he disgraced the office and the Democratic party.I also felt that those prosecuting were secretly gleeful that he had screwed around and got caught,and that they could could use it to their political advantage.

I guess that I might have to give Walter Jones the benefit of the doubt on this one.

I also think that it is important to understand that what Clinton did was a personal lack of character that SHOULD have affected only him and his family.The use of the Justice Department for partisan reasons affects the entire country.

He's really turned around.Originally when the War begun he proposed that French Fries be renamed Liberty Fries in reprisal for France not supporting the war. Then he voted against the war,and now he wants to hold Rove in contempt.The man is genuinely brave considering that he represents a conservative military based district in North Carolina. All these issues were used in the primary against him and he still won.This is proof that Obama need not pander to the right.in order to win

Source(s): NYTimes

How long did it take for karma to catch up to OJ? Don't worry life has a way of balancing itself out. Yes, Rove will be arrested just maybe not immediately.

If you can give me a valid reason for Rove to be questioned by hostile Democrats in Congress give it. Has the man been indicted for a crime, has he been accused of wrong doing? No, This is a politically motivated fishing trip during an election year. the primary purpose to distracted the American people from the fact that congress has done nothing in the 17 months the Democrats have had control of it.

I don't know if it is principle and integrity, or if he is trying to distance himself from Bushco for a reelection bid. I would have to do some research before I believe he, or anyone else, in congress has integrity. I know some of them do, I am just playing the odds and saying, no.

It does.

Any sign of someone in government taking the Constitution seriously is a good thing.

(I just read my own previous statement and am marveling at the awful irony of it.)

I agree with Jones - Rove needs to held accountable, he needs to be forced to testify - and held in contempt until he does....

,why should anyone have any more respect for our leaders or the Laws of The Land when they show us they are weasels and scofflaws,

and have no respect for the law, or the process, and just show a sleazy contempt~??!!

even if they dragged him in there he would claim the 5th, but it would at least be SOMETHING~!!!

this administration has not showed any accountability for any of the crap they have done~!!!

if he is innocent, lets hear his arguments in a court~~!!

Source(s): me!