Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsCats · 1 decade ago

Are you with or against declawing cats?

I know that some people both declaw and not declaw and some people have had exelent progress with declawing and other people have had bad things happen while choosing to declaw

What is your take and experiances on de clawing and non declawing a cat???

I have a seven week old kitten and Im going to choose to not declaw him because even though nothing might happen Im afraid that he would get infections prolonged pains and personality changes and lameness

so Im just going to stick with cutting his nails every two weeks

Best Answer

Definetly.

If you’re thinking about having your cat declawed, there are many things you should know before you make your decision. The surgery is basically an American trend, and is considered inhumane and is illegal in many countries (England, Scotland, Wales, Italy, France, Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Norway, Sweden, Netherlands, Northern Ireland, Ireland, Denmark, Finland, Slovenia, Portugal, Belgium, Brazil, Australia, New Zealand, Yugoslavia and Japan). If that doesn’t impact your opinion about declawing, maybe this website will help you decide: http://community-2.webtv.net/stopdeclaw/declawpics...

I believe that people who have their cats declawed are uneducated. It is not very difficult to train your cat to use a scratching post. The surgery is not simply a trimming of the claws, it’s an amputation of the distal phalanx, including bones, ligaments, and tendons! To remove the claw, the bone, nerve, joint capsule, collateral ligaments, and the extensor and flexor tendons must all be amputated. If you were to make a comparison, it would be like having the last joint of each of our fingers chopped off. So of course it is a painful surgery, with a painful recovery. There are often many complications in the healing process, including infection often from litter box use, resulting in a life-long aversion to the litter box. Other declawed cats that can no longer mark with their claws, will mark with urine instead, resulting in inappropriate elimination problems.

Many cats who have been declawed are traumatized and become withdrawn, nervous, fearful and/or aggressive. Cats who went through the painful surgery are more prone to resort to biting when they feel threatened. Since cats have emotional feelings (just like we do) they can resent you if you decided to get them declawed. All of these things can cause depression and ultimately lead to an overweight cat.

If a cat who has been declawed accidentally escapes, he/she would be in great danger. A cat needs it's claws to defend itself, as well as to escape by climbing. The constant state of stress, caused by a feeling of defenselessness may make some declawed cats more prone to disease. Also they cannot stretch their back and shoulder muscles like they do naturally when they dig their claws into a scratching post.

One popular alternative is Soft Paws. They are lightweight vinyl nail caps that you glue on the cat's front claws. They're great for households with small children and are extremely useful for people who are away from home all day and can't exercise the watchfulness necessary to train a cat to use a scratching post. Soft Paws are easy to apply and last about four to six weeks. They come in clear or colors--which are really fun.

Most common types of damage are scratched furniture, ripped carpets and shredded wallpaper. You want to eliminate the problem before it occurs. Buy or build a stable, tall scratching-post, right from the start. Here are some tips to do it right: If your cat is scratching your furniture or rugs, here is some advice on training them to use a scratching post:

• The post should be at least two feet high, covered with sisal-rope

• Get more than one, especially when you have a multi-cat household

• Place the post close to the furniture or other areas which are most at risk

• Introduce a new scratching-post with some catnip sprinkled on its surface. Cats love that and it’s more attractive to them

• If your cat starts scratching the "wrong" object, say "NO" and gently carry your cat to the desired post. Demonstrate how to use it by scratching the post with your own nails. If the cat doesn‘t catch on after trying this repeatedly for a few days, gently pick up his paws rub them along the post.

• Never force your cat. When it starts scratching the post by itself, make sure you use verbal praise with a rewarding treat and affection. The cat needs to know that using the scratching post results in positive things such as affection, playing and treats.

• When you have a kitten, start early with the "pawing at post" technique

• Invest in what’s called a “cat tree” which acts also as a leisure area for your cat. Different textures and heights make it more interesting, you perhaps want to build it yourself

• Try some repellent like pepper-dust or some commercial products on your furniture to keep your cat off these areas

• Be persistent and don't give up too soon

Use cat claw trimmers and only take off a tiny bit at the end of the nail. Some people say to do it every other week. I think it‘s safer to cut off less than you are told, and to do it more often, (like once a week). Never use trimmers that are made for humans or dogs, because you are more likely to hurt her that way. You can ask your vet or groomer to show you the proper way to do it. Here's a website that shows you how:

http://www.catscratching.com/htmls/article.htm

I agree with you Connie on this subject and good on you Jennifer for taking the very intelligent decision of not declawing your baby kitty.

It is horrifying to read some of the statistics involved in declawing and I don't understand why some organisations, like the HSUS and PETA, are campaigning to make spay/neuter mandatory law (although, I do think everyone should sensibly CHOOSE to neuter/spay if the cat/dog isn't of breeding stock and not be TOLD and MADE to do so) instead of making declawing and tendonectomies outlawed instead. It is the case here, UK, where it has been outlawed due to declawing being seen as "inhumane" and "unnecessary mutilation." I can understand that there are exceptional cases where the cat may have severly injured their claws and declawing those damaged claws is the only option for the comfort of the cat.

All the best and enjoy your cute fully pawed kitty :)

**EDIT** I forgot to add this link, below, which is a list of all US vets who do not declaw and veterinarian opinions on why you shouldn't -

http://www.declaw.com/

Source(s): Own, show and breed Maine Coons

I am so glad that you decided not to declaw your little kitten.

Declawing involves the removal of the toe up to the first knuckle, not just the nail. It is a very serious operation.

The cat (or sadly kitten) will have a negative personality. They will become biters and much less sure of themselves.

Also they will experience shoulder pain due to their posture problems from having to overcompensate for the imbalance caused by declawing.

There are so many cons to declawing that it should be illegal everywhere.

The only reason people declaw is laziness.

If you adopt a cat/kitten, it is your responsibility to care for it and do it no harm.

I am so proud of you for not declawing your precious kitten. You will have a much happier cat because of it.

Source(s): I have been a cat owner all my life. I work at an animal shelter. I read a lot.

Good for you! You get as many gold stars as you want.

My last cat was adopted at 4 years old. She was declawed in front. She didn't display any problems but she WAS a biter and rabbit kicker. She did more damage with her rear claws than my two fully-armed girls do combined.

When I got these two from the shelter they told me not to declaw. I said ok and gave it no more thought. I had read a bit about how to keep them from becoming biters and scratchers and I followed that advice. As a result they are very mannerly and we're only scratched by accident. No complaints about that.

These days I'm adamantly against it. There's not much I can do but I did sign the petition to make it illegal.

I am nominally against declawing, because I feel that if you're going to have a cat, you need to take responsibility for it and give it a scratching post and teach it to scratch there, just like you teach a dog to sit and poop outside.

However, we do have ONE cat that we had to get declawed. She was born with mis-shapen claws and couldn't retract them all the way. She ended up getting stuck to the carpet every day, and out of frustration would pull and pull and cause her toes to get all bloody. she was very scared and in a lot of pain, so we went and got her declawed. She's perfectly fine now, thank goodness! She gets along well enough with the other cats (who have their claws) and she just punches them if they get in her way. lol...

so, I feel declawing out of convenience is bad, but if you NEED to do it for the cat's safety it's ok.

As someone who has seen declawing firsthand, assisted with the procedure and cared for cats afterward, I am strongly against it. I see the pain and bleeding, and I believe any surgery that has no medical benefit for the animal should not be done.

Source(s): veterinary assistant

I feel sorry for people who "don't have time to clip nails every two weeks" I find nail trimming time quality time I spend with my cats. I have six, and at least once a week I give them "beauty treatments" where I comb them, brush their teeth, check their ears and eyes, and give them a once over to make sure there are no problems and then trim nails.

And I also feel cats came to us with claws, they should keep them.

Many vets feel differently. Why? because it makes them money, LOTS of money. Of course they are going to try to tell you that it is safe.

and many cats do just fine declawed.

HOWEVER..

there are risks, many of them. seems like playing russian roulette with your kitty to declaw. Although few vets will go over all of the issues with declawing.

Another reason why vets aren't opposed to declawing, is because there is very little scientific evidence to PROVE that declawing is bad. most information out there is 'anecdotal'. Like shelters seeing declawed cat after declawed cat turned in for the same reasons (litter box adversion and biting) Or like my own evidence of going through a vet's records and noting fractious cats (cats who are prone to biting) and seeing that 99% of all the fractious cats were declawed. The scariest cat we had was declawed and had no teeth. Poor cat had NO defences, so he was vicious to compensate.

some studies are being done, and they are finding new and previously unthought of issues with declawing, such as being more prone to arthritis because being declawed throws off the entire gate of the cat.

I think there are just so many different options to deal with claws that declawing really isn't necessary. (in fact it is illegal in most european countries and in a county in California) and people who don't want to deal with those options - or who think their furniture is more important than a cat, shouldn't have cats. If you want a stuffed animal, get a stuffed animal..

Source(s): (sorry, I just fostered a cat who was declawed that had NO IDEA how to be a cat. I had to train him all over that certain cat behaviours were perfectly acceptable. He hid under my chair for two weeks before he could even trust me enough to let me pat him. His previous owners said he was scared and shy and reserved - and yes he was turned in for inappropriate elimination - well after I taught him it was ok to be a cat, he turned into a beauty, and is very outgoing, loves to be in the thick of things)

The only reason I de-clawed my cat was because when I first got her my landlord found out that she was in the apartment and made me give him proof of declaw or he'd kick us both out. I only de-clawed her front paws. I regret it. Not only was it hard to watch her go through the pain and fear, but now I worry that if she EVER got outside she would loose a fight to a small animal or get lost and not be able to catch food and starve. I own my own home now, so I have to keep her inside at all times and watch like a hawk everytime anyone opens the door to my house to come in.

If your cat has scratching issues buy him/her a nice scratching post and plenty of toys. I always think, how would I like to have my fingernails yanked out one at a time? ew. So as you can see, I am AGAINST declawing a cat and wished I would have just moved instead.

• If you are going to keep the cat inside all the time for the rest of its life, then de-clawing is ok. But if they are ever going to be an outside cat, they need to be able to defend themselves. However, if you are cutting his nails every two weeks since its been a kitten (which 7 weeks is obviously) then the cat will be used to you cutting its nails and it should become an easy process. If the cat isn't used to you doing it, the older the cat gets the more difficult and frustrating it could become.

Both of my cats are declawed in the front. One of them I had done when it was a kitten and the other cat was already declawed when I adopted her.

Its very good of you that you are not declawing your cat.

I am trongly against declawing as its is very cruel to cats and it gives allot of pain to them.

One can trimm their nails or buy a scratching post for their cat instead of declwing.

>^_^<