Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 1 decade ago

What's the most interesting flame-cooked meal you've eaten here in Canada?

Hello! You'll know me as an author but I'm also a culinary activist. I try to make things happen here in Canada. In 2003, when BSE devastated the beef industry and so many farm families, it was clear that something needed to be done quickly! Entire communities were in crisis. My response was to create The World's Longest Barbecue -- Canada Day 2!(TM) Since then it's expanded to a dedicated web site where Canadians from all around the globe share their stories. Always held at 6 p.m. on the first Saturday of August, The World's Longest Barbecue -- Canada Day 2!(TM) is an ultimately Canadian grassroots celebration of Canada's agricultural bounty. Geographic boundaries collapse as the celebration begins and grillers from coast to coast to coast cook their own great regional foods!

The rules? You must cook Canadian ingredients and share our pride-filled menus and stories. So sometime before August 2, plan a local menu, log on to flavoursofcanada.ca and join our national barbecue party!

Yahoo! Canada Answers staff note: Find out more about award-winning cookbook author Anita Stewart's cross-Canada culinary journey:

http://www.harpercollins.ca/global_scripts/product...

Favorite Answer

I went fishing once with my dad and my brother years ago. We stayed in a cabin on a lake that was about 50 K.M.'s from Timmins. We went out the one morning and took the rack out of the fridge. By lunch we had about 4 small pickerel and we went on shore, built a fire, and cleaned the fish as my dad prepared a bag with floor, some dill, lemon pepper and other spices. He put the fridge rack over the the fire with a cast iron pan and deep fried the fish in a combination of butter and vegetable oil. It was the best fish I ever had.

The most important thing in barbecuing is your equipment and your means of producing the flames.

I know this may be a rather contentious statement to some people, but if you are cooking with gas, you are not really barbecuing. You are merely cooking outdoors.

Get a simple charcoal barbecue set up. Get some good charcoal (I use Kingsford but there are several good brands) and you will instantly see what you have been missing. There is simply no comparing the flavor between charcoal BBQ and food done on a gas grill.

To say that difference is like "night and day" is a total understatement.

Now, you want some good Canadian BBQ?

How about some nice Atlantic Salmon done on a soaked cedar plank placed on the grill of your charcoal BBQ? That would be fantastic.

But you want something truly magnificent and truly Canadian? How about some Porterhouse steaks from the highest grade Alberta beef? The "Porterhouse" cut is one of the nicest - so beautifully marbled, so juicy, so full of flavor, and so tender.

And what would you put on a steak so wonderful and this?

NOTHING!

Truly great beef requires very little more than proper grilling method.

Okay, you *might* want to put on your favorite BBQ sauce. Or you might want to first brush it with some olive oil and then rub in a bit of seasoning. But you really don't need much of anything. Just enjoy the beef. Save marinades and heavy spices for cheaper cuts of meat.

And what to have on the side? How about some potatoes mashed or in French Fires made from PEI potatoes? And some corn would be great too - this great land is full of corn.

Happy Barbecuing!

absolutely.. Every microwave meal has already been cooked, they are just frozen so that all you have to do is defrost them or heat them up! Otherwise you'd be cooking them for MUCH longer. There a little signs that you can tell as well, like if you have any food with meat or fish, notice how the beef is always brown and the fish is not translucent. Chicken should never be pink either.

It doesnt matter what your cooking, steaks, ribs, chicken, pork, burgers, whatever. All I know is that here in Winnipeg there is an awsome new BBQ Sauce company Called Bon Vivant! Such great flavors that step away from the normal tastes of a BBQ. Citrus, Carribbean, Korean, Chocolate Chili, Fire Roasted Jalapeno and Chive, and they have a new one out ROOTBEER. They also have a Sweet Chili Rub as well which is a great extra before gillling. Look for it if your in Winnipeg. I think they have a website too.

Source(s): Lots of trial and error on sauces in the stores.

Hmm. I find it odd that although several from Manitoba have answered, nobody's mentioned BBQing with BISON! Now, I've heard some say that bison has a reputation for being dry and tough, but not so: the secret is to cook it for just HALF the time you would cook the same cut of beef.

Having tried a nice bison strip-loin, grilled with nothing but a little pepper, I will always look for bison first when it comes to my preferred slab-O-flesh for the grill.

Side dish? Why? OK, seriously: some chopped red onion, sliced shiitaki mushroom caps, sliced peppers, zucchinis and eggplant, marinated in a mix of balsamic vinegar, sesame oil, and a little ginger and garlic; wrapped in foil and grilled for about 10 minutes.

Source(s): experience: just tried it one day, although the lady at the butcher shop was kind enough to remind me to cook the bison for only half as long as beef.
  • Ism

Well, I can't give away all my secrets, buy my recipe for bbq'd ribs have become a favorite of many people. Start with a dry rub of chilie powder, cumin, corriander, paprika, brown sugar, kosher salt, black pepper and cayanne pepper. Rub this all over the ribs a day before cooking and keep in the fridge. Bbq at 250°F for about 3 hours on indirect heat. During the last half hour baste it a couple times with your favorite sauce (I use Canadian Club Rib Sauce), then enjoy!

Source(s): Me and years of experimenting with spice rubs!

Big fan of beer butt chicken!

Preheat grill to a medium-ish heat, about 350-375.

Take one regular sized chicken (I use Lilydale, since the quality is always good) and one can of beer - either Canadian or Alexander Keiths (since I have to drink 1/2 of the can, I want it to be decent beer)

Clean the cavity of the chicken, and rinse with water.

Create a blend of spices of your choosing (I'm lazy and tend to use the La Grille Chicken Seasoning mix). Dried herbs and spices are best, because they don't burn as quickly. Mix your spice blend with an equal part of brown sugar. Rub the mixture all over the chicken

Empty 1/2 the can into a glass and drink. Put the chicken upright onto the can with the remaining beer. They make a beer butt chicken holder for this - it makes it a lot more stable.

Put chicken and beer can on the grill and close the lid. Give it about an hour, and try not to lift the lid much, it will extend your cooking time. I like to reduce the heat under the side I've got the chicken on and increase it slightly on the other side of the grill. The chicken is done when the legs move freely and the juices run clear.

Hi, I thought I'd share my bbq experience...

Just coz I love my grill so much, I decided to cook all three meals on the grill a few summers back.

Breakfast: bacon, eggs (scrambled), toast and hash browns

Lunch: portablello mushrooms, green peppers, onions grilled, then cut and put on grilling bread brushed with olive oil to crisp and brown it. Also on the bread was provolone cheese and and prosciutto. MMMMM!

dinner: good old home made burgers, spiced with a hint of curry powder, and accompanied with zucchini sliced length wise and sliced portabello mushrooms. For dessert, pineapple slices brushed with melted brown sugar, cinnamon and a hint of nutmeg.

Other favourites are sliced acorn squash brushed with butter, pizza (turns out better if you have a back burner), apple crumble in cast iron and grilled banana with a little grand marnier.

Sorry not all ingredients are Canadian, but some things are too tropical to grow here, but NEVER too tropical to grill !!!!

Venison, bacon and caramelized maple beets.

Place 4 medium venison chops on the top shelf of your barbecue. Take a 500 g pack of maple bacon. Place some strips on top of the venison to cook slowly so that the bacon fat drips down into the venison. Place the rest of the bacon around the venison on the top rack to give it that smoky bacon flavour. Cook until the centre of each cut is around 65ºC (using a meat thermometer). This goes well with caramelized beets with a real maple syrup drizzle.

Our favourite recipe are our BBQ'ed ribs! We start by boiling our side or back ribs cut to serving size. Season the water with an onion and salt and pepper.

Simmer for 2.5 hrs so the ribs are tender and just about falling off the bone.

Prepare the sauce and simmer while ribs are cooking.

1.5 cups of ketchup

1 onion finely chopped

4 cloves of garlic

Salt and Pepper

3/4 cup of honey

Sounds simple huh?

Baste the ribs while grilling in the sauce or you can also bake in the oven for an hour!

Best, tastiest ribs ever:)