now fast does a bullet travel per hour?

13 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Bullet speed, or velocity, is usually not measured in miles per hour (mph) but in feet per second (fps). You can however, if you desire, use simple math to calculate a given cartridge's mph using the following formula:

(Bx3600) / 5280

where B is the bullet speed measured in fps. (there are 3600 seconds in an hour, and 5280 feet in a mile)

That said, bullets of different calibers travel very different speeds. On top of that, different bullets of the SAME caliber can travel different speeds because of different weights, powder charge, pressure, etc.

The slowest and fastest bullets I can think of off the top of my head are as follows.

Many .45 Caliber hand gun rounds travel at apprx 870fps. This can very based on bullet material and weight, but 870fps is a good average. This equates to 661 mph using the formula above. (100 mph slower than the speed of sound)

Some custom loaded .243 rifle rounds (a small bullet used mostly for small game) can go a little bit more than 4000fps and have been recorded as fast as 5278 fps.

If you use 4600 fps as an average for the very fastest .243 rounds, you get 3136 miles per hour. (just over four times faster than the speed of sound)

Pretty damn fast.

Hope that answers your question.

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/avrze

Ron is only partially correct about the cartridge being the speed determining factor. Things such as barrel length, rifling, and the bullet type and load (controlled by the manufacturer) all play a factor. Most 9mm rounds exit the muzzle at around 1100 to 1300 feet per second so (using 1200 fps) we get 1200*3600/5280 = roughly 820 mph. No, fired straight up it will return with a velocity of around 160 to 180 mph. Probably not fatal, but I certainly wouldn't want to be the one to test the theory. Lastly..... Why own a plastic 'Matell-O-Matic' when you can get a 'real' handgun (such as my 226 Sig) for about the same price? And why carry a 9 when the .357 Sig or the .40 is such a vastly superior round? Doug

• 4 years ago

Speed Of A Bullet Mph

• Erika
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

How Fast Is A Bullet

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

It depends on the bullet. A 165 grain .40 s&w shot from a gun with a 4" barrel will travel about 1,200 feet per second (820 mph). This round is the most common handgun round used by law enforcement in the U.S.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

The speed of most bullets varties somewhere from around 800 fps to over 3,000 fps. Determine what your velocity is in fps and multiply that mumber by 3600. Divide the number that you get by 5280 and you will have the miles per hour that the bullet is traveling.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

The velocity of a bullet is given in feet per second (fps) in the United States. The 0.22 rimfire cartridge, which has a very small powder charge, sends its bullets on their way at between 370 m/s and 460 m/s. Cartridges in rifles -- centerfire cartridges -- propel their bullets at a much faster rate. The 0.220 Swift, which drives a very small bullet at over 1220 m/s, is the cartridge with the highest velocity.

Shotgun pellets vary very little in velocity. The slowest speed at 335 m/s, while the fastest travel at close to 427 m/s.

• Mark M
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

a 25-06 bullet leaves the muzzle at 2700 miles an hour

• 1 decade ago

I've shot a .223 wssm and the reading i got was 4200 f.p.s i don't know how fast it is in m.p.h but that is fast dude and very flat shooting gun ive also shot a 243 wssm the reading on that was faster 4400 f.p.s cheers that would still break the sound barria at 1000yards. cheers

• 1 decade ago

bthe average bullet travel at 2568.5 mphs per hour

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.