Transsexual/transgender discreapancy here?

I haven't been posting here long, and Ive just kind of noticed something recently that I've never really observed anywhere else that I find puzzling. A lot of people on Yahoo actually get pretty hostile over the differences between the words "transsexual" and "transgender" and define... show more I haven't been posting here long, and Ive just kind of noticed something recently that I've never really observed anywhere else that I find puzzling.

A lot of people on Yahoo actually get pretty hostile over the differences between the words "transsexual" and "transgender" and define "transgender" as basically a transvestite or cross dresser. That definition is certainly news to me, and I've never seen a big deal made of it anywhere but here. No TS/TG community that I have ever been active in has made a big to-do about it, and most people I know (including myself and my therapist) use "transgender" as an umbrella term for anyone with gender/sex conflicts including transsexuals. I don't consider being called "transgendered" rather than "transsexual" offensive, it's just another way of saying the same thing to most people.

What's the deal with that? Is it maybe a regional thing for some of you? Why argue about the "right" word so much when the usual definition of TG includes TS?
Update: On the contrary though, sometimes you don't need to speak up for everyone when you're not everyones voice. I for one, and I know many others, have absolutely NO problem with the word "transgender", and I do consider myself transsexual. Maybe it's an issue of age too? I'm primarily active... show more On the contrary though, sometimes you don't need to speak up for everyone when you're not everyones voice. I for one, and I know many others, have absolutely NO problem with the word "transgender", and I do consider myself transsexual. Maybe it's an issue of age too? I'm primarily active in younger communities (I'm 18, most of my friends and acquantainces are in the same college-age range and that's what most of the communities I frequent are targetted towards)

I personally see no point in splitting hairs over it and turning transgender into a negative term when it doesn't have to be. I do accept the definition of transgender as an umbrella term, and I have no interest in discriminating against people in a similar situation to me over an issue of blind semantics...
Update 2: Oh, and to the grammar nazi; it's almost 3:00 am. Leaving out an apostrophe here and there is expected. :)
Update 3: It's an umbrella term, being included doesn't mean you're everything else included. I'm transsexual, I'm none of the other terms either, but I still can be considered transgendered. It's not an issue of me needing to "research" anything, it's semantics and a pointless... show more It's an umbrella term, being included doesn't mean you're everything else included.

I'm transsexual, I'm none of the other terms either, but I still can be considered transgendered.

It's not an issue of me needing to "research" anything, it's semantics and a pointless argument. The word "transgender" isn't what makes people view transpeople in a negative light, it's the fact that a lot of us come off as batshit insane to them and they can't relate to us. I don't need to research anything to know what terms do and do not offend me.
Update 4: I never said the media portrayal isn't responsible. A word, transgender, however is NOT. People have been prejudiced against us long before that word came into usage and that's just looking for someone else to blame. I specifically said "batshit insane" because I've been told that, in person,... show more I never said the media portrayal isn't responsible. A word, transgender, however is NOT. People have been prejudiced against us long before that word came into usage and that's just looking for someone else to blame. I specifically said "batshit insane" because I've been told that, in person, by someone who was shocked to find I was trans because "every transperson they've ever known has been batshit insane and obsessive.

Look, I can understand wanting to clarify the difference between the two words but demonizing "transgender" isn't the way to do that and any sensible person knows that. Transgender is not a hate word and is rarely used as an insult, unlike "tranny" "shemale" and that ilk. why are some people so dead-set on turning it into one?
Update 5: Has anyone ever explained to you that talking down to everyone is really unbecoming? I'm comfortable enough with myself as a woman, and as a transsexual woman. Whether you are comfortable with it or not, you're going to be "lumped in" with other groups because we're different and... show more Has anyone ever explained to you that talking down to everyone is really unbecoming?

I'm comfortable enough with myself as a woman, and as a transsexual woman. Whether you are comfortable with it or not, you're going to be "lumped in" with other groups because we're different and in-fighting over which word to use doesn't change that. Ive always found that showing someone I'm a regular person with regular interests is a lot more effective for differentiating myself from cross-dressers and drag queens than screaming the difference between TS and TG. Apparently your approach is different though, but I'd rather appreciate it if you dropped the holier-than-thou attitude that you've adopted.
Update 6: Answering a question doesn't require you to talk down to someone or respond in a holier-than-thou sense. My question was as much of a statement as it was a question. you're something of a hypocrite when you say that I'm unwilling to hear other opinions. You yourself have talked down to me several... show more Answering a question doesn't require you to talk down to someone or respond in a holier-than-thou sense. My question was as much of a statement as it was a question.

you're something of a hypocrite when you say that I'm unwilling to hear other opinions. You yourself have talked down to me several times and tried to basically invalidate my opinion by implying that your opinion was the only correct one, and you'd know because you've finished transition. There's really no other way a "we'll see how you feel about it when (x)" sort of statement can be interpreted.

I still will say that the word "transgender" can not be blamed for our negative stereotypes because it's no more of a negative word than transsexual is. The stereotypes that cause so much harm are caused by the way a small minority of the "community" portrays themselves and the porn industry. You can't place the blame on an innocent word.