Deenie
Deenie asked in HealthMental Health · 1 decade ago

What's the difference in Dimentia and Alzheimers?

They seem very similar to me. Are the symptoms the same? Also..I've heard lately that statins can help prevent it. BUT , I took lovastatin one time and it made me forget where I was when I was driving. Then I happened upon a site where others were saying that they had memory lapses with it too.One man was in his front yard and didn't know where he was....because of lovastatin. I quit it and it stopped happening.

I don't have either of these...I've just wondered about it.

Grace...So Alzheimers can turn into dimentia? I thought dimentia was just old age...things wear out.

Favorite Answer

Dementia is a deterioration of intellectual function and other cognitive skills, leading to a decline in the ability to perform activities of daily living. Dementia is progressive decline in cognitive function due to damage or disease in the brain beyond what might be expected from normal aging. Particularly affected areas may be memory, attention, language and

problem solving, although particularly in the later stages of the condition, affected persons may be disoriented in time (not knowing what day, week, month or year it is), place (not knowing where they are) and person (not knowing who they are).

Dementia is a group of symptoms caused by gradual death of brain cells. The loss of cognitive abilities that occurs with dementia leads to impairments in memory, reasoning, planning, and personality. While the overwhelming number of people with dementia are elderly, it is not an inevitable part of aging. Instead, dementia is caused by specific brain diseases. Alzheimer's disease is the most common cause, followed by vascular or multi-infarct dementia.

There are many causes of dementia, but the three most common are Alzheimer's disease, multi-infarct or vascular disease, and Lewy body disease. Alzheimer's accounts for about 50 percent of all dementia cases and is the result of nerve cell changes and a loss of brain cells. Approximately 11 percent of people older than 65 have Alzheimer's disease. Unlike Alzheimer's, multi-infarct dementia is caused by a series of small strokes. Lewy body dementia has symptoms of both Alzheimer's and Parkinson's. Parkinson's is caused by a reduction of the chemical dopamine, a substance that is essential to transmit brain signals. Symptoms of Parkinson's include tremor, stiffness and slowed movement. Parkinson's is a degenerative disease, and it is treatable but not curable.

Dementia is one of the most serious disorders affecting the elderly. The prevalence of dementia increases rapidly with age. The prevalence of dementia has been difficult to determine, partly because of differences in definition among different studies, and partly because there is some normal decline in functional ability with age. Dementia is most common in elderly people; it used to be called senility and was considered a normal part of aging. Dementia affects 5–8% of all people between ages 65 and 74, and up to 20% of those between 75 and 84. Estimates for dementia in those 85 and over range from 30–47%. Between two and four million Americans have Alzheimer's disease; that number is expected to grow to as many as 14 million by the middle of the 21st century as the population as a whole ages.

Dementia is a very serious condition that results in significant financial and human costs. When someone has dementia, brain cells are damaged and die faster than they would normally. Losing brain cells means that the brain does not work as well as it should, and gradually people lose the ability to do things. Often, memory is affected first and people forget important facts such as the name of their husband or wife. Later, as the illness progresses, people get confused about things like where they are, what day it is or who other people are. People with dementia may become listless and lose interest in activities that have previously been important to them. In the later stages, people lose the ability to look after themselves and may need help with washing, dressing and eating. Conversation becomes repetitive and the same question may be repeated over and over.

The cost of dementia can be considerable. While most people with dementia are retired and do not suffer income losses from their disease, the cost of care is often enormous. Financial burdens include lost wages for family caregivers, medical supplies and drugs, and home modifications to ensure safety. Nursing home care may cost several thousand dollars a month or more. The psychological cost is not as easily quantifiable but can be even more profound. The person with dementia loses control of many of the essential features of his life and personality, and loved ones lose a family member even as they continue to cope with the burdens of increasing dependence and unpredictability.

EDIT: Nope, people used to think that Dimentia just meant that you were getting old, but then realized that some people were losing their memory, skills, and speech much quicker than others. Alzheimers is basically the same thing, but Dementia is much much more advanced. People with Alzheimers can do mental exercises to remember things, people with Dementia remember things, but dont say them or do them right. For example, in her mind, my grandmother knows that the dogs are dogs and they go woof. But she gets "doggies" and "kitties" mixed up very easily, as well as other things. Like I said before, she often forgets that she has Dimentia and mixes up her current life with the things she could do in the past.

Source(s): my grandmother has it. she calles the dogs 'kitties' she thinks my stepmom is my real mom, and she thinks that soon she'll be checking herself out of the nursing home she's in, getting a car, getting a job, teaching dance again [she used to be a dance teacher], and buying a house. Its really sad.

There are many forms of dementia, caused by several different things. Alzheimers is one specific form of dementia.