What's the difference in Dimentia and Alzheimers?

They seem very similar to me. Are the symptoms the same? Also..I've heard lately that statins can help prevent it. BUT , I took lovastatin one time and it made me forget where I was when I was driving. Then I happened upon a site where others were saying that they had memory lapses with it too.One man was in... show more They seem very similar to me. Are the symptoms the same? Also..I've heard lately that statins can help prevent it. BUT , I took lovastatin one time and it made me forget where I was when I was driving. Then I happened upon a site where others were saying that they had memory lapses with it too.One man was in his front yard and didn't know where he was....because of lovastatin. I quit it and it stopped happening.
Update: I don't have either of these...I've just wondered about it.
Update 2: Grace...So Alzheimers can turn into dimentia? I thought dimentia was just old age...things wear out.