Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingNewborn & Baby · 1 decade ago

Milk allergy in baby...?

Hi! My baby is being breastfed.. but is almost 9 months old.. so is also eating some foods.. I am wondering if anyone can direct me to a site that will give me words that may be milk products other than the obvious work milk.. I am discovering milk is in everything.. even hot dogs.. and because she has such a severe allergy and I am breastfeeding.. I can not have any milk products either.. This is not Lactose intolerant.. its actually an allergy to the milk.

THanks!

its not an assumption.. she was tested

Favorite Answer

Firstly THANK YOU for being educated enough to know that its a milk protein allergy/intolerance, not lactose intolerance. But just to give you some more unasked for advice because I *know* you want it and never get any ;-) About 30-50% of toddlers with a milk protein allergy will develop a soy protein allergy and that is in everything under a variety of names as well.

One of the easiest ways to make sure something does not contain any milk products is to use products labeled pareve. Long story short for those who keep a kosher kitchen they need to know which foods contain no dairy or meat because you can't mix dairy and meat. So things labeled pareve contain neither (and are kosher). Its a very small marking on products but it usually says pareve and you will get very good at spotting it.

Failing that here are more things to look for:

http://www.inspection.gc.ca/english/fssa/labeti/al...

http://aaia.ca/en/milk_brochure_en.pdf

There is a better site I will try to find later. Good luck!

My baby had the same thing and I am still breastfeeding her. Over time though she became much less sensitive. Have you tried introducing foods with milk back into your diet? She is allergic to the protein in milk, caesin I believe. But you are right, it is is EVERYTHING! when did you discover the allergy? My baby is able to eat yogurt in small amounts, cheese, and now drinks some formula in addition to breastmilk so her allergy seems to be getting better with age--she is 9 months. Good luck. Make sure soy is not causing the problem, it too can be a hard to digest protein.

Did you get her tested for this allergy? Or is it an assumption?

Usually it is the casein protein, whey protein, and lactose sugar in the milk that people are allergic too.

I am not allergic to milk but I do find that sometimes I have negative reactions (tmi so I won't go there!)

Milk is found in dairy products (obviously) and many processed foods.Tuna,salad dressing,deli meats and soups can possible contain dairy.

Whole foods market, fresh market and Amy's kitchen carry milk-free products.

You can buy over the counter supplemental lactase enzymes that may assist you and your baby