Use of hydrogen peroxide for disinfection of acne and eye irritation.?

I sometimes use hydrogen peroxide to cleanse my acne after "relieving" them. However, sometimes afterwards my eyes appear to be irritated or bloodshot a little bit. Most of the time I use this method of cleaning my acne after I shower. I think I may also have somewhat sensitive eyes, thus I do not fully know whether or not this is caused from the hydrogen peroxide or perhaps fragrances used whilst showering. Nonetheless, I was wondering if perhaps anyone else experiences this, and if someone knowledgeable who wouldn't just be spewing out Google PhD answers knows whether or not this is harmful, or if the redness/bloodshot effect on my eyes could be permanent or result in a lasting redness of my eyes.

Many thanks in advance!

Favorite Answer

I assume you're not putting hydrogen peroxide in your eyes! There are specific peroxide compounds used to dry excessively sebaceous (oily) skin (benzoyl peroxide) well as some acids, i.e. salicylic acid) that are compounds with skin soothers to counteract the drying. Straight hydrogen peroxide repeatedly put on the skin is a bit harsh. Try using an over the counter acne medication formulated for gentle skin to see if this helps. Do your eyes normally appear bloodshot after showering? It's possible that your eyes are irritated from shampoo, hard water or soap. A gentle over the counter eye wash solution or artificial tears may help soothe your eyes....but please take special care not to get any acne remedy near your eyes. Check to see how your eyes appear immediately after the shower and before you apply any acne treatment to eliminate this possibility. If your eyes continue to irritate you, I'd see an ophthalmologist for a consultation. Feel better.

• Erika

i'm donning an eye fixed patch stunning now because of the incontrovertible fact that I splased Hydrogen perioxide in my eye. After an 8 hours stay on the hopstal and a couple of two litre eye washes, my eye continues to be contaminated and sore, to no longer upload working and extremelt comfortable to easy.

• Candi

The redness could be from the steam in the shower if you use hot water. I've never really heard of peroxide hurting you but I guess all things are possible.