What are the benefits of having a masters degree?

Texas A&M requires a 300 word essay to get accepted for a master's degree program. Can you please help me? I would really appreciate it, thank you.

• Jim
    Best Answer

Well, I can certainly think of a few reasons. I'll cut to the chase and offer a handful.

Firstly, the single year of a masters does not compare to a single year in an undergraduate course: not only is the workload considerably greater, but postgrad research involves independently managing one's time without a supervisor pressing upon a student their obligations. That means a postgraduate student must possess determination, self-discipline, the ability to integrate short and long term time management, and a sincere passion for the object of their research. That really sets masters apart from ordinary undergraduates, and develops in them skills to carry for life, skills that do not also render them more employable, but actually improves their success at life - relationships, personal commitments, and one's pursuit of long term goals all draw from these qualities.

Secondly, having a masters *itself* immediately differentiates one from other graduates. It's very simplistic to propose this, but masters degrees are different and, well, impressive. That extra attention may make the difference between an application in the bin and an interview.

Thirdly, of course, masters degrees are simply more demanding, requiring intelligence, the ability to independently research and quickly assimilate complex ideas to an even greater degree than a bachelor's course requires. These are quite impressive traits.

• keys

Having A Masters Degree

Public school districts are always looking for someone with an endorsement or MA in special education...this is the growing field for today's teacher. Many states, like NJ, have a No Child Left Behind Act which makes teaching every student in a way in which they can LEARN a school district's responsibility. With Master Degrees, you would start on an upper pay scale for your step. As an educator with an MA, I can tell you that EXPERIENCE in the classroom is worth so much more than a higher degree. My BA was enough to get me a good job. I have seen teachers who have higher degrees fail because they could not keep control of a classroom or keep the children disciplined while engaged. These individuals are probably some of the brightest out there, but could not execute plans, etc.

• Lucy

Well, it could help you get a higher paying job but there is no absolute guarantee. I would hope that you've researched your field to be sure there is a demand. I say this because I know some one who has a masters degree & can't find a job in their field. Still, it's an impressive accomplishment so if you have the time & money then why not go for it? Also, I've been hearing that most anyone can get a bachelors these days so if you want to stand apart from them, you should get a masters.

• Elvia

195

Source(s): AskOnlineDegree - http://askonlinedegree.com

1.) Status

2.) Respect from your peers and people

3.) Job opportunities and career advancement

4.) Knowledge is power

• Dan

If you have to ask Y/A this question, you probably shouldn't be going to grad school...

That should be something you can rattle of a dozen quality reasons for.

• j1185 years agoReport

you just come across as a bit stuck up