Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesPhilosophy · 1 decade ago

What is the purpose of philosophy?

or what is philosophy? Is it the art of I-know-nothing-but- act-like-I-know -everything?

Favorite Answer

Philo=love sophi=knowledg philosohy is the love of widom. To discover our meaning and purpose in this universe and to understand the meaning and purpose of the universe itself. To understand the true meaning of love, justice, equality and anything else you can question or think of.

It is what drives us as human beings to make new discoveries, new inventions and new ideas.

Philosophy is to try to do the impossible to make sense of our ever changing time and matter. Ironicly enough the only way to achieve this is to understand that we know nothing of what i have spoke above.

If you have ever asked yourself why am i here or who am i congrats you my friend are a philosopher.

Contrary to some of the vacuous bullshit you'll find on this page, philosophy is a noble, no, possibly THE most noble academic discipline one can study. Sans repeating what our friend correctly said about the five major fields, I will say this: We live and die for philosophy. Even if we don't realize it, nearly everything we believe is predicated on someone's philosophical investigations. To debase the mother of all sciences as a "waste of the taxpayer's money" is to admit barefaced ignorance.

Oh yeah, and philosophy majors score higher than any other majors on the graduate exam; mathematics students come in second. Maybe they're doing something right.

Source(s): Urbandictionary

Let's eject the "I-k-n-b-a-l-I-k-e" philosophers from the conversation for the moment. Those rice bags can be dealt with later, and in any case, they aren't especially important to other philosophers, whose purposes are less . . . reptilian.

I'm a lightweight philosopher, and my purpose in my philosophizing is to make sense of what I find about me. Thus, at any given instant, i have 'a philosophy' that is more or less comprehensive of the 'universe' I can perceive (including mediated perceptions, &c.), and more or less coherent and complete. The ideal product would be (in an instant) a philosophy that was completely comprehensive of the-Universe-so-far-perceived: Maximally Best Current Wisdom. I've never had that, and (candidly) do not expect ever to have a Best Current Wisdom much more impressive than any other post-it note on the fridge.

Nevertheless, I do better some days than others. My BCW's apparent quality waxes and wanes. Some mysteries are cleared up, or some loose ends are tied off before new loose ends or fresh mysteries appear in my philosophical inbox. And sometimes the new stuff rolls in and just stacks up.

That (after a moment's reflection) should suggest to you the powerful attraction of willful ignorance. And, yes, I DO sometimes stay willfully ignorant. A robust effective wisdom with known lacks and weaknesses can be preferred to a prototype wisdom with undiscovered quirks and flaws.

Does this reek of the pragmatic? It should. I'm an American with little formal education, ergo, I tap into the blue-collar wisdom with no shame at all. "If it works, don't fix it."

The pragmatic's purpose is to get by with a philosophy that reduces the discomfort of uncertainty, of leaning on faltering beliefs to a tolerable level. A pragmatic modifies or invents wisdom anew only when the discomfort of an inadequate wisdom provokes action. That's a modest program, easily within my compass.

That disposes of my philosophical purpose. But there are, naturally, other purposes, that drive other philosophers.

Some purpose to drive uncertainty from the universe. They itch to own The Truth; and that purpose drives their every thought. They can be very tiresome.

Some purpose to put rationality off the summit of thought--and some purpose to put rationality at the summit. The pissing contest between these two schools is good reading--pass the popcorn--but they speak two different dialects of Martian, so you'll have to do a little reading to understand the play.

Now let's deal with the rice bags: Those guys (or gals) purpose to use a philosophical costume for social purpose. In its way, it's no worse than any other signal of status. And, as with elegant coiffures and luxury possessions, they pay for it with time and resource spent to that end. Apparently they think it worth the expense. You and I would disagree with their conclusion, and consequently we spend our coin to other purpose.

If they annoy you, poke 'em with a pin. There's always some lack of knowledge you can uncover, or some anomaly their 'knowing' can't account for. But go easy: they often have fragile egos, or a nasty temper. Jab 'em just enough to let 'em know they're being a nuisance--then let 'em find the gracious retreat. Rule of thumb.

The purpose of Philosophy is the work of understanding the human mind and to give advide. Phil means love and osophy means the study of. Humans are considered love. That's the purpose of Philosophy.

Well it can be. But it's supposed to be: 'Who the **** am I, and what the **** am I doing here'.

And any philosopher who acts like he or she knows everything knows nothing. There is no evidence to support this knowledge. He or she might be just as well be a crapfish living in a tank full of toxic waste and be fed from a wastepipe leading from Karl Rove's toilet.

Like most journalists, for instance.

And that is philosophy for you, with today's special offer: Free political satire! ;-)

Ciao

• ?

similar as technological expertise or faith - to discover actuality. it really is the purpose of philosophy. And if youre basically an anti-non secular hate-monger searching to validate your prejudices, enable me recognize. i visit pat you on the lower back and praise youre "insights" if it receives me those ten factors. All of those concepts, consisting of technological expertise, are in simple terms hypothesis and extrapolations... first observations are made, then the ingenious concepts comes up with a proof. it really is a hypothesis. The very nature of technological expertise calls for a use of mind's eye, it calls for faith in remark and perception and comprehension, and all hypothesis are prejudicial extrapolations from remark. not often particular of technological expertise Philosophy is the pursuit of actuality... its the affection of information. technological expertise is in step with philosophy. An get at the same time of - supposedly - a chain being more advantageous than its weakest link.

It's the art of knowing how little you know but trying to learn as much as you can.

If people feel like t hey need to show that off to others, I doubt they really care about philosophy at all.

It has been said that houses are made of bricks, but a heap of bricks is not a house. In the same way, science is made up of facts, but a heap of facts is not science. That's where philosophy comes in, to build a house with the heap of facts derived from scientific observation. Philosophy attempts to provide a framework in which to organize facts so that they fit into a coherent structure.

• hsrch

Philosophy includes the history, methods and techniques of critical thinking.

It is great for teaching, and is the equivalent of mental masturbation.

Seriously it induces new ways of thinking and stretches your mind beyond that which is thought of as normal.

Without philosophy we would still be stuck in the stone-age.