Why do people dislike BET and others of the sort? Please read the additional details before answering?

I posted a question similar to this, I just don't get it. How can people get irritated about a show like this one that caters to blacks). There was a time when there were no Blacks, Asians, Hispanics, etc. on television. There was a time when u didn't see anyone of these races in music videos. BET is one of the only entertainment channels that caters to African Americans. (no offense to anyone). There are plenty of other channels/ stations that cater to whites WET, NBC, ABC, TBS... and many more. O yea, and how many TV shows can you find (that are not on BET) with a cast that is majority Black? And then look at all the other channels and see how many shows you can find with an all white cast? There are so many more. Once upon a time, Michael Jackson was the only black person in any music video, on any channel. I find it disturbing that people get jealous of little things like a show or a channel.

Im just curious, thats all.

Favorite Answer

Um I used to watch BET a lot. However I don't anymore simply due to the fact that I don't like rap music that is out right now. I morely watch the dating shows for a laugh and baldwin hills. I am more of 90s music person . I think some get upset because it is not a diverse station. Even though they don't understand how everyone else feels when your watching movies and shows and you see no black people...or you spot one blurry brown face alway in the background. It takes away from the show or whatever when its always like that because you feel like you are never represented.

But i feel like thats one channel and there are still whites on BEt...in commercials...and awards...and other things...so its not a big deal. Yes there are more diverse channels...so anyone who does not like it can turn. I would really say only in this year am I seeing a lot more cultures represented in a good light on television and on more channels more often.

Source(s): watching tv

Not usually. I am not on this service to save the world. I work a hotel job with lots of down time, especially when there are no vacancies or during the offseason when there are lots of vacancies but nobody comes. I am just passing the time amusing myself with one silly remark after the next. I am afraid that reading the additional details doesn't really pertain to what I am doing on Yahoo Answers.

Because it's way too commercialized and seems to give gangsters a good name and very little recognition to people who have done positive in their lives. BTW I'm hispanic and I feel that Reggaeton is an embarrassement to our culture therefore is not BET. You you should understand that people are sick of what the Media is feeding us and we have had enough. If you're one of them pop culture followers then go ahead be a lamb let someone tell you what to like. Because that's what BET, MTV, and VH1 are all about.

I'm white and I don't mind BET or think it's racist because its catered to blacks which means white people can be on the network, watch it blah blah blah so I'm fine with it. However if there was a WET (white entertainment televison), there would be an OUTRAGE. Which is is fkn bullshit....

I personally do not like BET all that much

It glamorizes the HOOD black people. i think it makes black people in general look bad.

they're feeding kids bs that they falsely claim to be hip hop and perpetrate the negative black stereotypes

BET is run by the same people who run MTV... both by a white guy....

because it generalizes black people

i dont like BET at all nor FOX

Honey, you got a lot to learn. You can't please everyone, and everyone is gonna ***** about something. Please, with all the important things going on in the world, and YOU are talking about people not liking BET??? Come on.