What is the story behind Jehovah's Witnesses being afraid of Smurfs?

I am not really sure if they are afraid of them but I do know they can't watch the cartoons, have a replica of them or even speak about them. What is this all about?

If they have a replica or own a cartoon video of them is it true that they can be disfellowshipped if they don't burn it to get rid of it? What is the fear behind a Smurf?

Favorite Answer

I grew up as a JW (and left it when I became an adult) and remember the stories that surfaced about the Smurfs in the late 80's/early 90's when I was a kid. They were unofficially banned due to absolutely RIDICULOUS stories that spread throughout the organization like wildfire. There were stories of Smurf dolls coming to life and literally walking into or out of a Kingdom Hall (JW church) and making foul mouthed comments (I beleive the story was a child's toy smurf walked out of a Kingdom Hall and blurted "I've had enough of this $hit") and some stories about Smurfs jumping on and biting children while they slept. I still watched the cartoon regardless of the insane stories and was never attacked by demons... lol.

I remember when I was about 11 or 12, one mother in our congregation said that her daughter's treasure trolls (those short chubby things with the crazy hair and jewel in their belly button) attacked her daughter while she was in bed by jumping on her and yelling at her. EVERYONE in the congregation actually took this seriously! Everyone actually believed these things rather than taking the logical stance that she was either hallucinating, dreaming, or had mental health issues. JW's have an unnatural fear of demons and the occult and believe that demons will come into their homes and attack them if they watch anything pertaining to evil spirits or have any toys/images/music etc of it, even if there's just a movie with faeries in it! Some of them still watch it anyways, but I'm sure they felt even the slightest twinge of guilt.

I also remember hearing that Barney (the purple dino) was evil because they thought of the idea for Barney during a satanic ritual or some garbage like that.

As the 90's progressed, you heard less about these things, but there were still some persistent people who spoke about how demonic Disney movies are because of the magic spells, ghosts, spirits, witches and genies in them. I'm sure those people are now focussing their attention to the Harry Potter mania of the 2000's... surely anyone who'd watch these movies is likely to become possessed or visited by demons! Such absurdity with these people... you really have to see it to believe it!

I remember this well! I was a child of the 80's when Smurfs were big. Somehow the story got started that a child's Smurf doll came to life during a 'meeting' (Witness speak for church service) and screamed "F--- this!" as it ran out of the Kingdom Hall (Witness speak for church). I can't remember if something was actually said by the elders but everyone in our Hall forced their children to get rid of any Smurf-related items and quit watching the cartoon. I had a Smurfs coloring book and Mom threw it out. This was a period of time when there was rampant fear of demons among Witnesses. We were warned by our elders at one point to avoid secondhand shops and garage sales because items might be infested by demons. The hysteria mostly died down by the 90s, probably because yammering on about demonized toasters made us look superstitious. Which, to be fair, we were. So glad to be done with that nonsense!

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

If they have a replica or own a cartoon video of them is it true that they can be disfellowshipped if they don't burn it to...

Source(s): story jehovah 39 witnesses afraid smurfs: https://shortly.im/8lsUe

Bwahah! Yeah, I see a lot of questions that say "How can I get rid of the witnesses?". So many people have all kinds of responses, usually supposedly off putting scriptures that throw off less inexperienced ones. Depending on who's at your door, that will either scare them (it ain't easy going door to door, y'know!), or if they are experienced, it will cause them to stay at your door longer to go through the scriptures that share our beliefs on the matter. We have a Do Not Call list. If you really feel so strongly, ask to be put on it (though we do appreciate it when you at least listen). You'll still get a visit about once a year to ask if you still want to be on this list, though. There is really no reason to be scared! We're just people. We are only at your door because we believe you might appreciate what we have to say. Frankly, we are probably just as a afraid of you as some people apparently are of us. Its your home turf after all. If we find you at home and you look half asleep, upset, or ticked, 99% of us are thinking "Whoah, eject, eject, Aah! Sorry!". There is another 1% that tends to be a bit overzealous and push through anyway, but that is discouraged. Funny story. I'm in a Spanish congregation, but some people don't realize it because I look so white. I'll commonly run into a spanish person who starts off saying "No hablo ingles" and when I start speaking spanish, they say (in english) they don't read spanish. Its only when I pull english literature out that they say they aren't interested XD

• ?

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/avTN8

It's because the clergy of Christendom do not want their people to hear the Truth from the Bible. That's because the things they teach their people are just the opposite to what the Bible really teaches. I remember when I was in Catholic schools, the priests and nuns told us not to talk to Jehovah's Witnesses because we would get confused. And one boy said that Jehovah's Witnesses had been calling on them and told his family that God's name is Jehovah. The nun said: "We're not supposed to use God's name." The boy then said: "But you told us Jesus is God!" That really made me curious. A similar situation took place in Catholic high school. Also, Jehovah's name was even in our History books. That' s when I realized I was in the wrong religion. Anyway, I am one of Jehovahs Witnesses for many years, and I sure am glad to be set free from false teachings of Babylon the Great----The worldwide empire of false religion. Try not to worry, young Brother, Jesus said people would act this way and be the same way that they were in Noah's day, for they "took no note" of the warning and were all swept away (in the Flood). Just keep on doing Jehovah's will and he will continue to bless you by helping you to find someone with the right heart attitude. Christian Love, Elaine

It's not just smurfs but Barney the Dinosaur and anything Blue and Purple. We partially hate the lakers because of the Purple, the Minnesota Vikings and Detroit Lions...but then who really likes the Detroit lions...they pretty much suck...I digress what were we talking about...oh yeah why we hate smurfs...also any stuffed animal that would include fowl such as a stuffed duck or goose. we're OK with eagles as long as it isn't blue. I hope that clears up that hard driving question...whew' glad I got that out before anything silly happened.

If you research the one of the oldest so called spiritualists in American history Margaret and Kate Fox you can find they were interviewed by the New York Herald and admitted they never saw or were able to talk to spirits it was all made up to fool people who want to believe. Poor Jo ho's as JW's are referred to around here are just trying to control those who want to and feel they need something more in their empty world (Or minds). Any difference between them and the Peoples Temple folks ? They were empty minded people who needed someone to think for them. Now that's the TRUTH

• NMB

Afraid of Smurfs? Surely you jest. Indidviduals may have decided not to watch the cartoon because of the magic that was present in it. Both Pappa Smurf and Gargemel were practicers of magic.

Others may have watched the cartoon. It was something a parent may have decided for their children.

"If they have a replica or own a cartoon video of them is it true that they can be disfellowshipped if they don't burn it to get rid of it?"

No.

I don't know.

I'm not old enough to remember the smurfs.

But sometimes cartoons have dark backgrounds and origins.

Source(s): Me.

good question. i wasn't allowed to watch smurfs when i was a little girl. it had something to do with the fact that pappa smurf used mental telepathy (or something like that) to warn or call the other smurfs. and that relates to spiritism. make sense to you? oh, and the girl, she was a whore, cause she was sleeping with all the other smurfs. (my mind is a bit rusty, but i think thats it)