What exactly is BPA in baby bottles?

I keep hearing about this huge BPA issue. But I haven't fully figured out exactly what it is, and what it does? What are the affects with baby bottles? How does the chemical come out? Only when heated? What are the problems it can cause? I heard it is also in water bottles & even soda containers. So why aren't they being taken out of those? Is it just more enforced because of a babies immune system? If it's so bad, why haven't all of the bottles been taken off the shelves? I'm a bit confused. I am trying to get BPA Free bottles of course just to be on the absolute safe side. But what are the affects if I don't end up with BPA free? My brothers baby is 1 1/2 months old and they were under the impression that all Dr. Brown's bottles were BPA free and they aren't. Their son has been using the ones with BPA and he seems perfectly healthy & doing EXCELLENT. They use the microwave steamer to clean them & a First Years bottle warmer to heat them....

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

onn of our news channels did a big thing on this a few weeks back. BPA is a dangerous chemical, but only in large and long term doses. the 10 minutes it takes to drink a bottle won't do anything...it's barely exposure. if it were the danger that some would like to make it out to be, the bottles would be pulled off the shelf. but it's clearly not. don't worry about it too much!

ETA: just found this, thought it might ease your mind a bit as well!

"6. Toxic plastic bottles. For years panels of experts repeatedly approved the use of bisphenol-a, or BPA, which is used in polycarbonate bottles and many other plastic products. Yes, it could be harmful if given in huge doses to rodents, but so can the natural chemicals in countless foods we eat every day. Dose makes the poison.

But this year, after a campaign by a few researchers and activists, one federal panel expressed some concern about BPA in baby bottles. Panic ensued. Even though there was zero evidence of harm to humans, Wal-Mart pulled BPA-containing products from its shelves, and politicians began talking about BPA bans. Some experts fear product recalls that could make this the most expensive health scare in history.

Nalgene has already announced that it will take BPA out of its wonderfully sturdy water bottles. Given the publicity, the company probably had no choice. But my old blue-capped Nalgene bottle, the one with BPA that survived glaciers, jungles and deserts, is still sitting right next to me, filled with drinking water. If they ever try recalling it, they’ll have to pry it from my cold dead fingers."

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

BPA is an abbreviation for Bisphenol-A. BPA is an ‘ingredient’ used in the chemical compound that lines the inside of food containers such as canned goods and cartons for liquids like milk and juice. It also is the major building block in Polycarbonate plastic. Plastics with the number 7 on the bottom of the container.

Recent research from the University of Missouri found that some plastic baby bottles contain a potentially harmful chemical that could leach from the plastic into some liquids. The chemical, bisphenol A or BPA, is known to cause developmental, neural and reproductive harm in lab animals. The University of Missouri tests showed potentially harmful levels of BPA in baby bottles from popular manufacturers including Avent, Dr. Brown's, Gerber, Evenflo and Playtex. A group of experts chosen by the National Institutes of Health will convene next week to review available data and decide whether exposure to the chemical via a baby bottle or food packaging puts humans at risk for health problems.

The largest baby products industry group, JPMA, disagrees that baby bottles would leach chemicals in a way that would harm babies. In a media statement, JPMA called the latest study results sensational and biased, saying that the research has not yet received any validation from the scientific community. "Sound and respected scientific research has consistently shown there is no danger to consumers when products are used as intended. Trace levels of Bisphenol A from consumer products are well below any level that could cause harm to adults or to our children," JPMA said in the statement.

http://babyproducts.about.com/b/2007/02/27/are-som...

You should look into getting BORN FREE bottles.. they are 100% BPA free, and are great! i bought them for my son, and they're wonderful.

here is a website that lists what baby product brands are excellent, good, fair and poor. you can click on each brand name and it will take you to another page that lists what products of theirs contain BPA and which ones dont.

http://zrecs.blogspot.com/2008/02/z-report-on-bpa-...

Source(s): mommy of a 8 month old boy
  • 1 decade ago

Congrats on your pregnancy (I see your name as your due date & it's a boy).

BPA is an estrogen-like compound in plastic which could be posing some risk to the brain development of babies and children. It may cause things like early puberty in girls and breast development in boys. It is the main chemical used to make things like baby bottles hard and clear.

Bisphenol A, or BPA, is found in low levels in virtually every human body. A component of polycarbonate plastic, it can leach from baby bottles and other hard plastic beverage containers, food can linings and other consumer products.

See http://www.webmd.com/parenting/news/2007...

The highlights:

Canned food appears to be the main source of BPA for most people.

Last March, the Environmental Working Group reported the results of a

study in which a national analytical laboratory tested 97 cans of

food for BPA. (see http://www.ewg.org/reports/bisphenola)

The study found that:

Cans of chicken soup, infant formula (pre-mixed, not powdered), and

ravioli had the highest BPA levels.

1 in 3 cans of infant formula had BPA levels "200 times the

government's traditional safe level of exposure for industrial

chemicals."

Overall, 1 in 10 cans tested had high levels of BPA.

Beverage cans have fewer BPA residues; canned pasta and canned soups

have the highest levels.

BPA is an ingredient in many plastic products. Plastic bottles with

the recycling number 7 (except new bio-labeled plastics) usually

contain BPA.

Source(s): Mom to 12 month old.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

In my opinion...don't stress over it..there are plenty of other things to worry about!! There are MILLIONS of babies using regular bottles that they say contain BPA..and they all live to tell about it!!!!

Congrats!!!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.