Anonymous

Why does Canada lack culture, ingenuity?

I was just wondering why Canada has never produced anything interesting or worthwhile. No musical genres, no intersting food, no great accoplishments. Why is Canada so mediocre?

Best Answer

There are lots of great Canadian actors and rock and roll musical groups. Along with the fact there is a large hollywood type movie and television program productions etc.

Canadian Actors

Bruce McCulloch

Chief Dan George

Dan Aykroyd - Featured Canadian Actor

David Foley

Donald Sutherland - Featured Canadian Actor

Eric McCormack

Eugene Levy - Featured Canadian Actor

Graham Greene

Howie Mandel - Featured Canadian Actor

James Doohan

Jason Priestley

Jim Carrey - Featured Canadian Actor

John Candy - Featured Canadian Actor

Keanu Reeves - Featured Canadian Actor

Kevin McDonaldKiefer Sutherland - Featured Canadian Actor

Leslie Nielsen - Featured Canadian Actor

Mark McKinney

Martin Short - Featured Canadian Actors

Matt Frewer

Matthew Perry - Featured Canadian Actor

Maury Chaykin

Michael Ironside

Michael J Fox - Featured Canadian Actor

Michael Wincott

Mike Myers - Featured Canadian Actor

Phil Hartman

Rick Moranis

Tommy Chong - Featured Canadian Actor

William Shatner - Featured Canadian Actor

Canadian Actresses

Anderson, Pamela: Actress. "Baywatch", "Barb Wire"

Brown, Blair: Actress. title role in "The Days and Nights of Molly Dodd", "The Choirboys"

Bujold, Genevieve: Actress. "Anne of a Thousand Days" (AAN), "Dead Ringers", "Coma"

Burroughs, Jackie: Actress. "The Grey Fox", "John and the Missus", "Anne of Green Gables"

Campbell, Neve: Actress. "Party of Five"

Cattrall, Kim: Actress. "Star Trek VI"

Cardinal, Tantoo: Actress. "Black Robe", "Dances with Wolves", "Legends of the Fall"

Crewson, Wendy: Actress. "Getting Married in Buffalo Jump", "The Doctor"

De Carlo, Yvonne: Actress. "The Munsters", "Salome, Where She Danced"

Dewhurst, Colleen: Actress. "Anne of Green Gables", "Murphy Brown", "Annie Hall"

Dressler, Marie: Actress, Comedienne. "Tillie's Punctured Romance", "Anna Christie", "Min and Bill" (AA), "Dinner at Eight"

Durbin, Deanna: Actress. "Three Smart Girls", "That Certain Age"

Follows, Megan: Actress. "Anne of Green Gables"

Hennessy, Jillian: Actress. "Law and Order"

Keeler, Ruby: Singer, Tap Dancer, Actress. "42nd Street", "Dames", married Al Jolson

Kidder, Margot: Actress. Lois Lane in "Superman"

Kirshner, Mia: Actress. "Exotica", "Love and Human Remains", "Mad City", 'Anna Karenina"

Kuzyk, Mimi: Actress. "Hill Street Blues" and "L.A. Law".

Laure, Carole: Actress. "Get Out Your Hankerchiefs", "La Tête de Normande St-Onge"

Lillie, Beatrice: Actress. "Exit Smiling", "On Approval", "Thoroughly Modern Millie"

Maxwell, Lois: Actress. played Moneypenny in the James Bond movies, starting with "Dr. No"

McCarthy, Sheila: Actress. "I've Heard the Mermaids Singing", "Die Hard 2", "Beautiful Dreamers"

Moss, Carrie-Anne: Actress. "The Matrix", "Memento"

Nelligan, Kate: Actress. "The Prince of Tides" (AAN), "Fatal Instinct"

O'Hara, Catherine: Comedienne, Actress. "SCTV" "Beetlejuice", "Home Alone"

Pickford, Mary: Actress. "Little Lord Fauntleroy", "Coquette" (AA), known as "America's Sweetheart"

Polley, Sarah: Actress. "The Adventures of Baron Munchausen", "Exotica"

Reid, Kate: Actress. "Dallas", "Bye Bye Blues", "The Andromeda Strain", "A Delicate Balance"

Schnarre, Monika: Actress, Model. "The Bold and the Beautiful"

Shaver, Helen: Actress. "Who has Seen the Wind?", "Desert Hearts"

Shearer, Norma: Actress. "The Divorcee" (AA), "The Barretts of Wimpole Street"

Smith, Alexis: Actress. "The Constant Nymph", "Rhapsody in Blue", "Of Human Bondage"

Stratton, Dorothy: Actress. biographical film: "Star 80"

Tilly, Jennifer: Actress. "Bullets Over Broadway"

Tilly, Meg: Actress. "The Big Chill", "Agnes of God"

Tweed, Shannon: Actress. "Falcon Crest"

Wray, Fay: Actress. "King Kong"

LFT

Source(s): Famous canadians and their contributions http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_famous_Canadi... Famous Rock Bands and musicians http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_rock

The left handed spoon'

Basketball

Avro Arrow

The Robertson Screwdriver

Electric Light Bulb

Leerjet

Garbage Bag

Goalie Mask

Zipper

Canada Dry

Ice

Supergun

Ketchup Chips

Insulin'

gas mask

paint roller

road lines

chocolate bar

THERES A COUPLE FOR YA EINSTEIN!!!!!!!!!!!!

What about "Degrassi: The Next Generation" that is from Canada. But really Canada have culture since every country got a culture. Why wouldn't you just go research Canada's culture?

I don't have to list them here, but Canada has had decades worth of a steady supply of musicians, vocalists and groups. I'm sure that a few are your favorites (Rush comes to mind for me).

Architecture and engineering are also strong. You know that robot arm on the Shuttle? Canadian. Ever heard of Bombardier? They make everything from aircraft to snowmobiles. CN Tower? Tallest structure in the world for many years.

All you really have to do is look. Canada has many achievements that you encounter daily.

Source(s): Canadian by birth!

Lots of actors and comedians from canada, but they have to go to the USA to make a success of themselves. Same thing for the few scientists that have come from there. The American Dream is more powerful in Canada than in the USA. I should know I'm Canadian!

• MattH

So... I'm going to go ahead and assume you're American... although I could be wrong, please correct me if I am wrong.

Also I want you to keep in mind Canada's entire population is smaller than California's.....

And to Bob J, obviously he doesn't know much about Canada... to say Canada is homogenous would be like saying the United States is homogenous. A third of our country is French speaking, we have more foreign born percentage of our popluation than America does, we have 10 different regions in this country excluding the North... how would thate be classified as homogenous?

Questions like this used to really rattle me... but I've just stopped trying to educate the ignorant.

So the next time you see someone using penicilin for diabetes, the next time you do a run for cancer research, the next time you talk on your telephone, the next time you turn on your car (of course you wouldn't know we are your largest energy supplier), the next time you see one of our actors or musicians (which you would inevitably mistaken for American anyways)... any of those things... just think about it.

I like my way of life. I love where I live... there's more opportunity in my province than there is in any state in the union.. I've travelled extensively through both countries... but I'm not one to tell you how bad your country is.. becuase in all sincereity I like the United States.. ther'es just simply not as much employment opportunity in any US state as there is in Alberta.. period.. not good or bad.. that' sjust stating the facts.

I stopped being rattled by questions like yours after I learned a very universal truth reguarding your countrymen.

Americans are so utterly convinced of their own superiority.... they will never take the time to ever learn about other countries. They're stuck that way.... you learn America is number one and the outside world is worse.

I hope it stays that way... becuase I would never want people like you coming up here. I like where I am and I wouldn't choose any other place.

So keep your ignorance, your arrogance, your crumbling economy, your fading influence, your growing poor, your filth ridden streets, your celebrity worship, your obsession with materialism, your polluted environment, and your absolutley atrocious foreign image... and stay South of the 49. We don't want you here... nor do we even want you to talk about us or acknowledge us. To do so would simply embarass us.

Maybe it's just because Canada likes to lay low and not brag or cause a fuss or whatever. There are lots of good things and people that have come out of Canada. Although I must admit when a Canadian friend of mine sent me a picture of a warship that was in repair I had to ask him what it was - he said "it's one of our navy ships in port getting repairs." I was taken back and replied --- "You have a navy?!?"

Source(s): The above conversation really happened and no, I was not joking.

compared to other places, canadas a pretty new country.

and still connect themselves with britain.

canada doesn't have a majority of one race or culture. theres many different cultures. everyones ancestors are immigrants (unless native american) so they have cultural foods from other countries.

traditionally canada has always been a homogeneous society that was a part of Britain until the 1950s. America is a melting pot and with the influx of slaves there was the wealth of cultures that make America dynamic and interesting. Canada is just bland.

Le Français Terçuel, those things you mentioned are American. Canadians singing rock n roll doesn't make it canadian anymore than Americans making french pastry make it American. You simp!