Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Queen of Hearts asked in PetsBirds · 1 decade ago

Is it true that all birds have rabies?

Im concerned because my pup came running to the front door with a dead bird in his mouth! I took it away from him. But my friend says birds have rabies, so now Im worried for my pup because he hasn't gotten his rabies shot because hes not old enough.

12 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

In wild animal species, rabies is more common in bats, skunks, raccoons and foxes, but the disease also has been found in deer and in large rodents, such as woodchucks,

Cats, dogs and livestock can get rabies, too, if they are not vaccinated. Some animals, including chipmunks, gerbils, guinea pigs, hamsters, mice, rabbits, rats and squirrels, rarely get rabies. Birds, fish, insects, lizards, snakes and turtles NEVER get rabies. SO DON'T WORRY !

• ?
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

Do Birds Carry Rabies

• 5 years ago

Can Birds Get Rabies

• 7 years ago

To answer the original query...NO, all birds are NOT infected with the rabies virus nor can they be.

And, after reading through the comments, it appears there is some small semantical to-and-fro occurring.

While it is true that avian's cannot CONTRACT either form of the rabies viral disease, they CAN act as an 'amplifying agent' or become a simple carrier or 'transport agent' for the disease. In other words, passing it on from the original host (infected mammal) to the 'dead end host'.

• 1 decade ago

No,birds rarely get rabies,as if something with rabies were to bite them,they would most likely die from the bite itself. Birds are safe.The worst that will happen is the puppy could pick up worms. If you're terribly worried,then call your vet.

Edit: This link states that they never get rabies.

http://www.idph.state.il.us/public/hb/hbrabies.htm

• 1 decade ago

That is such a fake hoax myth. Birds have never been found with rabies unless they were flying bats. But birds we know of never have rabies.

• Anonymous
    5 years ago

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/GQAcJ

ONLY MAMMALS GET RABIES! Poor handling by an ignorant child is what's "wrong"w/it.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

no birds cant have rabies. i dont think. rabbits and raccoons can but no birds cant

Source(s): 2 budgies
  • 1 decade ago

Your friend is misinformed, only mammals carry rabies. period

• 1 decade ago

I would be more concerned about parvo infection. Birds carry it to yard after yard. Please make sure your dog has be given the proper shots.

http://www.workingdogs.com/parvofaq.htm

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.