my dad gets ^ & goes from the lvngrm to the bdrm & has a hard time breathing. it began w/ discomfort in chest

he started having pain in his chest area, now he has trouble breathing when going just a short distance. this all started after he started doing manuel labor. he had to quit. but this has been bothering him for about a week now. could this be a sturnum injury or is this a heart/lung problem?

Favorite Answer

While I agree with Jenn in that Active chest pain requires a call to 911 It sounds from your report that he has been having difficulty for a while now. That of course does not rule out a serious heart condition. Shortness of breath with minimal activity is grounds for a call to the doctor and making an appointment to be seen asap. Make sure that the doctor runs an ekg and a bnp. The first is an eletrical picture of how the heart is doing and the second is a blood test that tells if your father is in heart failure. Any posible respiratory issues are dependant on your health history such as whether he is or was a smoker, maybe have asthma or copd or even emphysema if the heart comes up negative. I wish you luck.

Source(s): respiratory therapist
  • Erika

SHHHHHHH, I'm Spiderman! On weekends, I'm Dare Devil. I keep lives, however not ever my possess. Sometimes I suppose evil and grow to be Venom. Just kidding. Really, I wouldn't have/do not preserve many peers due to the fact I hate being in which I am. I do not believe any one both due to the fact I discovered that almost all humans in which I am simply desire to make use of me any method. Example: support a individual claiming they are in want, individual buys booze/medicines. Why will have to I believe any one? My moms and dads are divorced and I pass over the best way matters was once. I do not see my household very generally, the divorce compelled me to transport ninety miles away. I have made a household of my possess and am running difficult to get out of a sh**gap known as Rockford, IL with little good fortune thus far.

Any kind of chest pain needs to be evaluated by a doctor, if he is actively having chest pains, shortness of breath then please call 911, the time between a call for help could be the chance of his survival!

Jenn

Source(s): I am a EMT