Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

My 13 week chihuahua mix puppy is humping our legs.?

Is this normal for his age, and what do we do about it?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

his attempt to be dominant is rearing its head at a young age.

stop him by offering a toy, or picking him up when he does it to distract him. Do not allow him to become the dominant type of Chihuahua they gives the breed a bad rep. You are the boss, always will be and he will behave as the omega. Socialize him with other people and other dogs well.

Source(s): vet tech 19yrs
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I think all new puppy owners have experienced the following at some point. They are showing off their new dog to their friends, perhaps trying to get him to do tricks, etc. However, the puppy has other ideas and starts to try and bump and grind anyone and anything in sight. Why do puppies do this, and can anything be done about it?

There are actually two opposing views on this subject. The more conventional view is that puppy humping is a demonstration of dominance behaviour. All dogs are pack animals, and your puppy is simply trying to determine their place within your family pack. If you observe puppies in a litter, it is not uncommon to see the males attempt to mount their litter mates whenever possible. Female puppies can also exhibit this behaviour, although it is not as common.

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

do no longer tell him off, you will only advance the probability while you're making a fuss. fairly only distract him with a toy or a sport, so this does not substitute right into a habit. some vets will neuter dogs as youthful as 12 weeks too, and this has been performed effectively for some years interior america of a and Australia. that is gaining popularity interior the united kingdom too.

• 1 decade ago

13 weeks and humping means he's playing but soon going to need to be fixed. They fix dogs now at 4 months old.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

It is normal for his age. I have a 16 week Boston terrior, and he does the same thing. When he does it to us, we snap our fingers at him and tell him NO in a firm voice. If your chihuahua keeps it up after a month or so, he might have a hormone problem, so take him to the vet and get it checked outt :)

• 1 decade ago

Yes, it is very normal. All you have to do is say "WRONG" or "NO" to your puppy to teach him manners. He will learn what you teach him.

Eventually, when you neuter him, this will start to curtail and/or end, though sometimes...not completely.

He is just either excited or very relaxed. This is normal for a young puppy. Don't worry........just teach him manners. :o)

Source(s): Mommy to my loving and devoted golden retriever, Pilot. :oP
  • 1 decade ago

That's pretty normal. The best solution is to have your pup neutered. Call up your vet and make an appointment.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Well the puppy is just showing it is the pack leader which is not good. It will stop its behavior if you get him neutered.

• 1 decade ago

fix him and he will stop, my lab did the same

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.