how do I block websites on internet explorer - WITHOUT USE OF hosts, content advvisor, blockwebsite option in?

do not say internetexpoloer->options ->, that crap does not work.

so I guess I'm looking for a program, something free, something that works, I tried websiteblock, it crashes my computer, like crazy.

Best Answer

How to Block A Web site in All Web Browsers (Windows XP)

1. Click Start > All Programs > Accessories > Command Prompt

2. Click Command Prompt This will open a DOS command window.

3. Type: notepad C:/Windows/System32/drivers/etc/hosts

4. Locate the line 127.0.0.1 localhost

5. To block the website google.com for example, just add this text under 127.0.0.1 localhost:

127.0.0.1 google.com

127.0.0.1 www.google.com

You can add as many sites any site, However you will need to prefix it with "127.0.0.1".

6. Save the file

Google will now be blocked in all web browser. This is an advanced but easy method on how to block a Web site.

NOTE: This method is how some viruses block your ability to access a site.

At home we use a service called PurePages. They are a high speed (DSL) internet service provider that block access to all kinds of adult websites by default. The best part is that there are no ways (that I know of) to get around them. All in all its a pretty good service - as good as the rest at least, and I am comforted by the fact my kids can use the net safely.

We are located in Ontario, Canada so not sure if you get it where you are but its worth checking out... Good luck!

Source(s): www.purepages.ca

honestly the best thing to do is download a new hosts file from mvps.org and then when you replace that file with your original inculded in windows, go to the file properties and then make it a read-only file.

set up a "child-safe" web browser like Browser Buddy.

only the "parent" [ you ] can add/delete websites to that browser