Toilet dirty quicker than normal...?

Does city water make the toilet get dirtier quicker?

I scrub it with a brush and AJAX twice a month, and up until recently it wasn't getting a scum stain around the water line. I don't know if the city has changed it's water. All of the sudden it is getting a ring of scum and I KNOW I am cleaning it often enough.

Never had this issue, and quite frankly it makes me ill. And idea why it is getting dirtier quicker?

Favorite Answer

You do not say how old the toilet is, but this is a big factor. The glazed ceramic that is the toilet can be worn rough with years of AJAX use. When the surface becomes rough it traps debris from the water.

If the only think you see is a water line mark, this is more likely something disintegrating in the toilet tank. Take the cover off, perhaps you have a disintegrating Ti-D-Bol container or other stuff decomposing in the tank. Rust and other stuff settle out in the tank as well. Drain the tanks and wipe up the gunk at the bottom, this Will help.

It is also possible something is corroding in your water lines. If you have old steel lines, you are pretty much guaranteed to have problems. A re-piping of your home would be needed, very expensive!

Good luck,

Astrobuf

Maybe you need a water softener. This will help with the scummy stains on the toilet bowl. Have you tried cleaning out your toilet tank. Sometimes giving that a good scrubbing will help. Maybe go to the cleaning section and pick up some drop ins. There is also a system that will help keep your toilet clean up to 4 months. I am not sure who makes it though, but I have seen it at Wal Mart.

gram

You should do it thoughly once each week & use the brush when required other times. Domestos bleach applied & left on for an hour or so is very good, it is used in hospitals.

Have you or anyone in your home been taking any kind of medicine? I do, and ever since, I have a very difficult time keeping my toilet scum free.