sensitive to alcohol?

my dad is a recovering alcoholic and whenever i see people getting totally drunk it makes me remember when he'd be so wasted he'd forget who i even was.

well we went to a family reunion and my dad wasnt there but my mom drank atleast 10 beers.

i felt so depressed the whole time.

so the question is: am i right to feel like my mom shouldnt drink so much around me or should i just let her have her fun.

(by the way i dont care if she just has 1 or 2. and im 14)

Favorite Answer

An alcoholic is not always defined by how much a person drinks but how the alcohol affects them when they are drinking. I can drink heaps and it hardly affects me but my friend will have a couple and she is all over the place....you know real drunk real quick its embarrassing. If your mum handles her drink ok let it go. Was it bottles or glasses?

I have a drink about 3 times a week I guess. And normally at the time about a couple of beers or a couple of glasses of wine. The only time I'd drink more than that would be if we were out at a party or something.

Have a talk to your mum and tell her it made you feel uncomfortable but if she handles her booze ok I would let it go. Shes not your dad. Good luck.

Source(s): Parent...of two.

I think its fair that you were upset by it, obviously you've been very hurt by people you trust because they drank too much. It can be upsetting to watch one parent struggle and then to have the other one mimic that behavior, even if its not quite as bad as before, it can be terrifying because maybe deep down you feel like you could loose your Mom to drinking and go through with her all the rough times you did with your Dad. You should talk to your Mom about it. It does put you into an awkward position of feeling like you're ruining her fun, but don't feel bad about the way you feel because you can't help that. Your Mom loves you. She will listen to you, understand and hopefully try to be more sensitive to your sensitiveness.

You're behaving in a natural way to have a certain amount of fear when you see a close loved one drink a lot. My Dad was an alcoholic and he left the family, then my sister (who's 8 years older than me) kept getting drunk and high. I hated it when she did this.

Your Mum needs to be made aware of your feelings. I'm not suggesting that she abstain from drinking or even getting drunk but she should not do it in front of you. Emotionally you need to heal. My mum ended up getting us family counselling organised through AA.

• Mz.H

My mom and dad used to abuse alcohol as well when I was younger. I didn't think that people drinking around me bothered me that much. But when I met my husband to be and he drank I would kinda get in this mood. I talked it out with him and I found that it still bothers me from when I was a little kid. So yes you do have the right. But you have to learn not to compare your mom and dad. They are different people and act different when drinking. Try talking to your mom about how your are feeling. It may help.

You are absolutely right to feel that way. It upsets you and that is OK. I also have a father, still trying to revover from alcoholism, its a terrible terrible disease that can destory families. I used to get very upset when I was a lot younger about my dad, luckly for me my mother doesnt drink because she knows the damage it can cause. I would talk to you mum and tell her how it makes you feel to see her like that, you must worry and thats not good to worry like that at your age. I hope she can understand where you are coming from...all the best and you also must be careful yourself when you are older as it does run in families.

• abrar

in case you think an alcohol hypersensitive reaction, you need to make certain a doctor and locate out for particular until eventually now you are trying ingesting. i'm definitely severe, do not kill your self for a buzz, not worth it. A cousin of mine is allergic to alcohol and discovered the complicated way. not exciting. I suspected I had an hypersensitive reaction or sensitivity awhile back. while i began ingesting around age 21, I have been given terrible issues and soreness in my eyes. That replaced into regularly observed via a feeling of being in sluggish action or underwater. It purely took in step with risk 2 ouncesto get me there. I provide up for a pair of year i replaced into particular there replaced into some thing incorrect. Now i think of it replaced into purely a peculiar and wonderful reaction mixed with a low tolerance for alcohol. I had a bad experience while i replaced right into a newborn the place a pal gave me a tumbler of gin as a replace of water and that i've got been given great ill, i think of it replaced into in basic terms my subconscious attempting to stay away from a similar state of affairs. i began ingesting cocktails with some fulfillment, specifically midori sours and hurricanes, issues with a decrease alcohol proportion and customarily numerous ice. I nonetheless drink water with my liquor, this is the suitable thank you to make it by the social gathering with out having ill, falling down, or waking up with a hangover. be careful approximately taking drugs with liquor, even issues like tylenol or aspirin can chenge your tolerance, that will develop over the years. continually eat until eventually now you drink, some thing stable - no salads, no acidic meals. I eat carbs and fat: pretzels, cheese, bread, chips... in basic terms be careful. additionally, i don't think of i began on beer and wine until eventually i replaced into around 24 or 25, it nonetheless impacts me plenty in yet in any different case than different varieties of alcohol.

I think you should tell your Mum how you feel. She may not realise that its depressing you, and she's probably just having a few drinks to enjoy herself. Assuming she doesn't drink 10 beers every couple of days, I would say she was just enjoying herself but im sure if you talked to her and told her how you felt, she'd be able to talk to you about it and she'd definitely understand. It may sound scary talking to her about it but its better than leavign it and her having no idea, and you being upset. goodluck.

:)

you are right. with your dad being an alcoholic it makes you very sensitive. and 10 beers tells me she may have a problem. 2 or 3 beers should be enough.

You're entitled to your feelings and as your mom I'm sure she would respect your feelings enough not to drink as much around you. It's understandable to feel that way

• Deb R

You love your parents and you want the best from them. You seen what your father went thru, and u are afraid to see that happen to your mom. Your mom is an adult and going to do what she wants, if you know how to pray then do that for your mom.