Friends Wedding Gift?

I am going to a wedding in mid August and I was wondering what I should give them. The bride and groom have been friends of mine for a very long time but I really haven't kept in touch with them during our college years. I actually consider them more acquaintances than close friends.

I am wondering how much I should spend and if I should get them a gift card to a store or a restaurant or should I just give them money or an actual gift. Any advice?

Favorite Answer

My husband and I just got married 2 weeks ago, and opened our gifts last Saturday. one of our close friends got us a gift certificate to one of our favorite restaurants, and we really liked it! It was for $50, so we will probably be able to eat there twice. It was just really nice to have a romantic date night after all the craziness of the wedding was over, and they were the only ones that got us a gift certificate to a restaurant, so it was unique. I say that would be a really good idea. You could even give them one for just $25 if you don't want to spend too much.

Just because you can't afford much doesn't mean you can't get a nice gift. Just get crafty... Buy a picture frame or photo album from Walmart and look through the remnant bin and find material, lace etc. Decorate the cover or the frame. Use the wedding invitation on the cover and outline it with fabric paint, lace, beads or whatever you can find. Find some inexpensive champagne glasses and some etching cream. Make a stencil and etch their names/wedding date on the glasses. They can also be decorated with some cheap beads glued to the stem. That would be nice as a shower gift because she could use them for the wedding. Decorated a basket (bought at a second hand store) filled with Hershey kisses and hugs, bottle of cheap wine and glasses (could even be second hand) or strawberry's etc. put it in their vehicle or room for their wedding night. Gifts that are made even though they may not be as expensive show how much you care by putting though and time into it. So what if it didn't cost much or things are used. They won't know unless you tell them. Summer is also a great time to go to rummage sales. Many people will be selling their unused wedding gift or other treasures you could use. I have made things for pretty much every wedding, usually scrapbooks or very decorated photo albums. People love them because they need somewhere to put the pictures and they will always think of you when looking at them.

Are they registered anywhere? I would check to see if they are registered at Target or Walmart. Most people put a variety of items on their wedding registery, that range in price so that no one feels like they have to get something expensive. We registered at Target, and 2 major retail stores, so that way we covered everyone...I think my husband scanned a case of Mt. Dew in our registery, and someone actually picked that up and wrapped it for him! It was one of our most memorable gifts! See what they have, and if you can afford it, do a $25 gift, it doesn't have to be fancy.

If you know where they are registered you can purchase a gift from there. You know they will always have it and that is something they wanted. Usually $40.00- $50.00 is good if you are going by yourself. You want to make sure you give enough that covers the cost of dinner. Have a good time & Drive Safely.

Don't ever gift money or gift certificates to people you consider 'friends' it's tacky. How about a two-sided frame, or the kind that has different spots in it? You could add a nice photo of yourself (or with them, if you have it)...Anything that is personal and will remind them of you -- in years to come, even if you aren't close - or if you are.

a gift card works for everyone.

the amount is about the cost of your meal plusa bit extra!

i would give them money. depending on how much money u have but 50 or 100 dollars....it would help them as newly weds and stuff.

I always give a vase for a wedding. Crystal.