Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 1 decade ago

any ideas with a persuasive speech on avoiding the use of diet pills?!?!?

I'm working on a 6-8 minute speech on avoiding the use of diet pills because they're dangerous and unhealthy but instead seeking healthier means to lose weight.

I'm not sure what order to go about doing this and my biggest trouble is always starting a speech.

any ideas anyone has would be awesome!

Favorite Answer

AGD- find a story about a young woman (or even like a 12 year old- that will get attention) who took diet pills and bad stuff happened.

Intro- A few sources on how big the diet pill industry is and how many people are taking them- are guys taking them too- if so throw that in there so no one can say that the speech only applies to the ladies.

<Preview> problems, causes, solutions

Problems-

1. More people are taking them ever before, 2. people are taking them at a younger age, 3. the pills are leading to whatever health problems they lead to.

Causes-

1. People are too image conscience or low self-esteem, 2. people want a quick fix in our instant gratification culture, 3. People assume the pills are safe.

Solutions-

1. There are no quick and PERMANENT fixes to weight loss- it requires a lifestyle change not pill-popping, 2. write your senator or elected official and ask he/she/them to support a bill making diet pills illegal for persons under 18, 3. Spread awareness to frineds and family on the danger of the pills

Wrap it up with a short review and tie it all back to the AGD story.

Source(s): As a speech teacher and a speech/debate coach this is what I reccommend.
  • Well I just stopped taking SlimQuick because it was making me sick, I was getting dizzy and I fainted when I was running. I went to the doctor and he said the pills were causing all this. He said they contain high amounts of chemicals that are suppose to help you feel hungry (which they dont) instead they make you feel dizzy and sick and even pass out. The best way to lose weight is to clean your kitchen out, throw away everything thats unheathly and stock it with heathly food that taste good to that individual. So if the over eat, at leasts its heathly and it makes you feel better. It's been two months since I've eatened fast food and sweets and my body feels so good, I have a lot of energy which I use to work out. Hope this helps some.

eat more dairy

• Patty

dump the junk food if you want to avoid temptation make sure you clean out the fridge and the pantry

take a break from blue moon belgian white a 164 calorie treat and grab a miller genuine draft which is only 64 cals

• Andre

Chew thoroughly chewing each bite 30 times before swallowing

identify the emotional triggers that lead you to seek unhealthy comfort food picture your goal weight the next time a trigger strikes to help you resist temptation

swing a lasso over your head 375 times

milk a cow for 34 minutes

are your dishes too big a healthy dinner should fit on a 9 inch plate