" He who makes a beast out of himself,gets rid of the pain of being a man "..? (Rock & pop section)?

Source : Avenged Sevenfold - Bat Country

Did vocalist M. Shadows quote this from somewhere, or is it the bands original lyrics?

Whats your interpretation of it?

Thanks.

(Entertainment & Music - Rock & Pop section)

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

It's a quote from Samuel Johnson, an English poet.

To me it means that it is much easier to drown yourself in alcohol and gambling and other vices than face the responsibilities a man should actually have to deal with.

• 5 years ago

Alice Cooper School's Out Britney Fox Girlschool Van Halen Hot For Teacher

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

No it's not original. Samuel Johnson, and English writer, originally said it. My interpretation is that insanity in all forms (some have used it in relation to psychedelic drugs, like Hunter S. Thompson) allows a person to escape the pain of being human.

The song is about Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, a book by Hunter S. Thompson. Even though Thompson wasn't the first to say "He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man", his book was where M. Shadows got it.

• 1 decade ago

dr. samuel johnston quote

Quoted in "Anecdotes of the Revd. Percival Stockdale" (1809) in Johnsonian Miscellanies (1897), vol. II, page 333, edited by George Birkbeck Hill; also quoted in Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas by Hunter S. Thompson, and in the Avenged Sevenfold song "Bat Country".

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 6 years ago

My interpretation is not conforming to society and govt' being a mindless robot,slave to society but being freeminded not worrying on getting societies approval, not worrying about man labeling you as beast.

• 1 decade ago

dr. johnson quote...says on the music video.

it's basically talking about a person in pain, and he takes on the protective numbness of an animal- i mean, they don't sit and cry when something bad happens to them, do they? they just sort of deal with it as best they can...

that's what i think.

• He got it from Hunter S. Thompson's 1971 novel Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas,

• 7 years ago

It means that if you live life as you please (for most people this is a wreakless life style like alcoholism and good babes) you would forget your own every day suffering/ sins

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

that whole song is basically a bunch of 'fear and loathing in las vegas' quotes

which was written by hunter s thompson.

i love when hardcore straight edge types talk about their devotion to that band when the band obviously advocates drug experimentation

• 4 years ago

I was interested in the answer too

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.