Hydrogen V8?

With the H2R, BMW proved that hydrogen can be a good, safe, cheap, clean fuel source. They also proved that it can yeild impressive performance with a great engine note!

However, i'm not really a BMW fan, and even if i were, none of us could afford the Hydrogen 7. What I want is a hydrogen powered musclecar with a internal combustion V8.

Is it possible to convert an affordable V8 musclecar to run on hydrogen, while still retaining respectable performance?

Also, besides GM's Hydrogen Equinox, is there any info on whether Detroit will build a hydrogen sportscar?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Performance being the main thing.

I doubt it, not now anyway, early stages. Hydrogen is much less explosive as to oil (petrol - gas) so its bound to be significantly slower. But then again Hydrogen takes up less space there for if increasing the amount into the engine for a big explosion then i guess it could be close.

The only thing stopping hydrogen powered cars from hitting main stream is the cost, i mean come on! A hydrogen car in england would cost around the same price as a new lotus and would look like a heap of s**t. Now how they expect us to drive in cars like that when we in a world run by fashion. Anyway thats a different argument. If you can get a hydrogen to run in a V8 musclecar, then let me know, id buy one.

• 4 years ago

In the late 60 and during the 70 few researches run hydrogen on gasoline engines, look up Roger Billings

he converted a 73 Chevy Monte Carlo 350v8, motor homes and buses with Chrysler 440cu v8, 1975 Cadillac Seville 350ci v8, 70 s Pontiac Grand ville 455ci v8. yes you will get less power(if you have H2 thru the carburator ), but it is possible. I have heard great results with direct hydrogen injection thru the head (Rudolf Erren in the 1930 s"with mechanical injection", even mr Billing with a 454chevrolet v8)... one thing to remember is cooling(lower temp thermostat 160f or 80c, cool air with high ram intake, or water inection or egr system

• 1 decade ago

I dont think you know how hydrogen is being used in cars as a fuel..

I believe they combine hydrogen and oxygen in a fuel cell, which makes water vapor, and electricity as a by-product. The engines dont burn the hydrogen in a combustion process. The just run off the electricity created by the combination of hydrogen and oxygen to make water. I believe it is called electrolisis, or reverse electrolisis.

And, if for some reason, BMW made an engine that can, I can guarentee it is far different than a regular modern gasoline engine, and you wouldnt be able to convert one.

• 6 years ago

Hydrogen burns about 300 times faster than fossil fuels. it burns hotter, it dissipates into the atmosphere faster, so you can expect to get, more power, at cheaper price ( about 1/3 the cost of gasoline), with Zero emissions, in an internal combustion engine. And because it dissipates so quickly, the chances of explosion are smaller than would be with propane or butane, of gasoline, in the event of a tank rupture ( when is the last time you heard of a propane delivery truck exploding?)

PS : Fuel cells are not the answer, batteries are more cost effective.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Hate to tell you this but cars and trucks used to be run on Butane which is also a gas.

In fact in region I am from every pick up truck on the road used to be powered by Butane for the most part.

What killed them was the government taxing them to high heaven.

So yes it is possible. On older carburetor engines you will need a regulator and carburetor in addition to the tank. You'll just have to adjust your timing for it.

You had a value inside the cab where you could reach it. You'd start and warm up on gasoline then switch over to Butane.

Cars and pickups set up to run on natural gas had to have a bigger orifice in their regulators.

The main difference will be the orifice you will have to have in your regulator

With modern fuel injected computer controlled engines you will have to change your injectors (equivalent of changing carburettor) out as well as changing your chip (the equivalent of changing your timing) out in your computer.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

hydrogen is not a fuel, its a energy storage system. We'd be better off with skipping the hydrogen and just charge up batteries in a car, besides, it a lot safer.

The fuel cell cars are a marketting ploy, not a serious car for use by all.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.