Candy
Candy asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 1 decade ago

Can't we do better than name-calling?

Politics 'questions' here seem to be little more than "Bush Sucks," "I hate Obama," "Liberals are traitors," "Conservatives are fascists." Doesn't anyone having anything of substance to ask? How about some questions on the very serious issues facing us? What do we do about the budget? Al Qaida? Global warming? Social security? Health care? Come on, people, show us how smart you really are! You can do better than name-calling!

Favorite Answer

Thank you! I completely agree.

I have received very civil, intelligent answers from people occasionally, but it really ticks me off when the answer has absolutely nothing to do with the question. For example, a question was asked about alternative forms of energy, and half of the answers were rants against the devil Bush, the Muslim Obama, Cindy McCain's drug use and how ugly they think Michele Obama is. I think there should be a separate category for these people under Society & Culture - nut-jobs, and leave the rest of us alone.

• ?

It goes beyond just the name calling. Deliberately distorting a candidate's positions is engaged in constantly and happens on both sides. It is absolutely ridiculous and makes the Politics section both juvenile and boring. What does one gain by posting a ridiculous twisting of a candidate's views or statements in questions? Do people think that they are somehow effecting the outcome of the election by posting lies or twisting the truth beyond recognition? Why do they also merely parrot what their fav political commentator said that day? Don't they have any original thoughts in their heads?

The level of political discourse here is astoundingly simple-minded and the behaviors are bogus. Wouldn't it be more interesting if people would attempt to actually discuss what a candidate's positions truly are and compare them and criticize what they really say instead attempting to twist reality in order to score imaginary points on a discussion board?

• LeAnne

Every so once in a while, these serious questions do arise. And I answer them to the best of my knowledge.

But, hey, it would be some boring without the "Bush was behind the events of 9/11" questions, wouldn't it?

Nope, apparently the people here CAN"T do much better than name calling. Just look at the questions. =-/

They're all just statements with question marks on the end. I usually don't even answer Q's here because its obvious that no one is asking because they're openminded and want to learn more...

Because the American public doesn't care about the issues, they want someone to blame.

The politians want us at each others throats so they can skip out on their responsibilities and rob us blind!

By the way if you don't agree with me you are a total idiot!!!!

Left or right doesn't matter......Get it?

• SDD

I think you're seeing a pretty accurate reflection of the sophistication of the American public.

most of the people on here are little kids who have no depth.

YES WE CAN!!!!

Source(s): Sorry for ripping your slogan Obama voters!